Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
Citizen Premier - 02 October 2005 04:48 AM
LaMa - 02 October 2005 12:23 AM
Citizen Premier - 01 October 2005 11:13 PM

” placing boms at research institutions, mollest peope, threathen them.”

A little off topic, but I have to ask, did LaMa become the new Stephen while I was gone?

Hey: watch your words dude!

Heh, I could say the same thing to you.

Hey, unlike Stephen I am not a native speaker of English. My English is better than that of some native speakers, and certainly better than your Dutch.

English “bomb” = Dutch “bom”. When I am tired, I tend to start to mix Dutch with English.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 02 October 2005 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

I thought you were british, LaMa. Guess its right about learning a new thing every day smile

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 02 October 2005 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

Why bring up the Bush quote?

Because the US has a publicly announced “zero tolerance” policy on terrorism, I forget what it’s called (The War on Termites? No. The War on Terrapins! No. Oh well, it’ll come to me). I’m sure there are more apposite quotes out there, couldn’t be arsed to find one.

In short, the OP looks like he was just trolling for a fight by trashing Bush, and couldn’t find a better reason to do so (and face it, it isn’t difficult).

Nope, Bush’s views on terrorism don’t bother me that much (face it, “against terrorism” is pretty much a no brainer (also not an anti-Bush jibe)). These people are terrorists under the UK’s legal definition…

“Terrorism” is the threat of, as well as the use of, terrorist acts to influence government or to intimidate the public or a section of the public for any political, religious or ideological cause. Where terrorist acts are defined as including “serious violence against a person”, “serious damage to property”, endangering a person’s life, creating a “serious risk to the health and safety of the public”, and “seriously” interfering or disrupting an electronic system, particularly (but not limited to) cases involving the deployment of firearms and explosives. [Paraphrased from the (very lengthy) Terrorism Act, 2000].

...and I am quite surprised that the FBI isn’t crawling all over them; maybe the UK hasn’t asked, I didn’t apportion blame. But surely in the current climate a US site promoting a terrorist group should be a quick route to a long holiday in Cuba and a natty new orange wardrobe.

Posted: 02 October 2005 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Unfortunately, I can’t open the website that LaMa posted on October 1st, so I don’t know exactly what that website or that mailing address has to do with anything.  As far as I can see from everything else, though, no nation is “harboring” these people.  No government is knowingly and willingly providing sanctuary for them; rather, it seems that both the US and the UK are taking action against them whenever there is enough evidence to make a case against them.  Unless you’re in favour of overturning the whole notion of “due process of law”, then there isn’t anything more that can be done.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 03 October 2005 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18
LaMa - 02 October 2005 09:40 AM
Citizen Premier - 02 October 2005 04:48 AM
LaMa - 02 October 2005 12:23 AM
Citizen Premier - 01 October 2005 11:13 PM

” placing boms at research institutions, mollest peope, threathen them.”

A little off topic, but I have to ask, did LaMa become the new Stephen while I was gone?

Hey: watch your words dude!

Heh, I could say the same thing to you.

Hey, unlike Stephen I am not a native speaker of English. My English is better than that of some native speakers, and certainly better than your Dutch.

English “bomb” = Dutch “bom”. When I am tired, I tend to start to mix Dutch with English.

Ah, you see, I never knew this about you.  Live and learn, I guess.

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

Posted: 03 October 2005 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Or live and don’t learn, as a lot of people seem to manage. . .

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 04 October 2005 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05
Accipiter - 03 October 2005 03:22 AM

Unless you’re in favour of overturning the whole notion of “due process of law”, then there isn’t anything more that can be done.

In the past plenty more has been done (see http://www.guardian.co.uk/internetnews/story/0,7369,567864,00.html). The PATRIOT act and other counter-terrorism legislation has been used to shutdown news-sites, satirical sites, ant-war sites and even (IIRC) a SF fanzine. In the UK, the Terrorism Act was recently used to detain an 82 year-old man for heckling a politician and another 70 year-old man for wearing an anti-war t-shirt (and they weren’t even swarthy, what is the world coming to?!). The horse of “due process” has long since bolted I’m afraid.

Posted: 04 October 2005 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06

I think the problem might be, that while the postal address is a US one, the website itself is registered in Singapore with a Singaporese provider.

At least under Dutch law, the content of the website would be enough evidence to arrest the persons owning that postal address, however.

Signature 

———
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 04 October 2005 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06
Accipiter - 03 October 2005 05:45 AM

Or live and don’t learn, as a lot of people seem to manage. . .

All too true, all too true…..

Signature 

———

{paginate}
2 of 2
{/paginate}