Well, this is interesting…
Posted: 05 March 2007 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17
Razela - 04 March 2007 09:29 AM
thunder - 03 March 2007 11:59 PM

Facebook may also collect information about you from other sources, such as newspapers, blogs, instant messaging services, and other users of the Facebook service through the operation of the service (e.g., photo tags) in order to provide you with more useful information and a more personalized experience.

I don’t get it.  How would they even get this information and what would be the purpose?  I mean, instand messaging services?  How would they even know what I’m messaging to my friends and why would they care?  Newspapers?  I guess I don’t really understand the point of this paragraph.

Razela, they make a kind of ‘paper’ ‘non-paper’ trail.  But this information IS used and often when you’re applying for employment at middle and higher-end positions.  For example, if your credit history is really messed up, or you have gone bankrupt, those employers view this as a kind of blueprint to your overall life behavior. 

Friends you are associated with are also noted because they are an influence on your life and choices.  If they are merely acquaintances, then even your preference for those you gather with, or are attracted to, are also considered your bend-in-behavior patterns.

If you think I’m kidding, I’m not…..  many years ago I went completely bankrupt.  Prior to this I held a middle-end position and had for over a decade.  While I was prepared to endure another decade without credit, I was astonished that my credit record was not only available to prospective employers, but they used it as I stated above.  I was deemed unacceptable for quite a few positions for which I applied.  Some of these folks [employers] were at least (most) upfront about gaining access and using this information it to make their decision about whether or not to hire me [and others].

The Facebook may ‘say’ that information is private, but I can assure you that NOTHING is private and just as with those famous individuals whose sordid skeletons are exposed in the media, so any individual’s can and will be used by another to their benefit.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 05 March 2007 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

I’m not so sure about that huli.  Credit information is available through background checks before getting a job.  However, I think it’s pretty unlikely that the government turns to facebook or reads my instant messages to get information about my favorite t.v. programs and who my friends are.  I would think that advertisers are the more likely 3rd party to this information.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 07 March 2007 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2007-01-25

Am I the only one who couldn’t actually access the site without having some STUPID US Visa pop-up appear?

Signature 

Judge Alistair McCallum: “Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 07 March 2007 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06
Razela - 03 March 2007 01:48 AM

It seems like the person who made this is upset that facebook can give the statistics on individuals to third parties.

Nope. He/she is upset because several top people involved in this information mining/profiling through Facebook, appear to have a previous connection to the Department of Defense (according to this presentation).

In other words, the argument is that Facebook is nothing more than a hidden attempt to profile people, the gleaned information serving National Security purpose.

And Razela, it can do a lot of harm if “they” have a complete profile of your contacts, political persuasion etc., through social networks like Facebook. It is only a few decades ago that several of your countries citizens ended up on black lists and were no longer able to get jobs in their profession because of alledged left wing contacts or sympathies during the McCarthy Red Scare in your country.

McCarthy-ism

Red Scare

Please note that A LOT of innocent people were the victims of this McCarthyism at the time. Replace “communist” with “terrorists"and indeed, there is cause for worry seeing the current trends with allowing more and more in the interest of “National Security”.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 07 March 2007 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Yeah, what LaMa said smile

Gathering data for marketing purposes is obnoxious, but it has always happened in one form or another and it is generally harmless as far as you shouldn’t find men in black suits at your door because you are hanging out with a group of friends that all have ipods and drink diet coke and like to go snowboarding and prefer Xbox to Playstations.

The concern is who is behind the data gathering and the fact that a large part of facebook’s demographic is students. Goverment officials have not forgotton the 60’s nor where much of the source of civil unrest during that time came from. Colleges were a breeding ground for alternative politics and demonstrations and those kids turned the establishment upside down. If you draw a parallel between vietnam and iraq and the growing discontent with the current govt, you can see where they might want to keep an eye on what is happening on our campus’s.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 07 March 2007 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-10

Ok ok ok, I think I’m just too young to really get it.  I understand what you’re all saying, especially now that people have been using facebook as a front for political ideologies.  I tend to keep my politics out of facebook.  My page pretty much consists of statements on how Danny Elfman is a god and which books I’ve read lately.  Hardly incriminating information.

Signature 

-Modest Mouse

Posted: 07 March 2007 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Danny Elfman IS a god!

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 07 March 2007 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-10
MadCarlotta - 07 March 2007 07:51 PM

Danny Elfman IS a god!

Exactly my point!!!

Signature 

-Modest Mouse

Posted: 07 March 2007 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-10
Razela - 07 March 2007 07:59 PM
MadCarlotta - 07 March 2007 07:51 PM

Danny Elfman IS a god!

Exactly my point!!!

Actually…I don’t think that was my point, but it is true!  That’s got to count for something.

Signature 

-Modest Mouse

Posted: 07 March 2007 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06
Razela - 07 March 2007 07:44 PM

My page pretty much consists of statements on how Danny Elfman is a god and which books I’ve read lately.  Hardly incriminating information.

Untill several of those books happen to be written by an author deemed “Un-American” by a modern day McCarthy (and Danny Elfman ends up on a “blacklist"for similar reasons). Or friends in your network have such books listed.

I had to Google Danny Elfman by the way.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 07 March 2007 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-10
LaMa - 07 March 2007 08:02 PM

I had to Google Danny Elfman by the way.

LaMa, I don’t think I have ever been so disappointed in you.

Signature 

-Modest Mouse

2 of 4