1 of 3
Conservapedia - possible joke?
Posted: 26 February 2007 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Okay…..so apparently Wikipedia is considered to be left-leaning liberal propaganda by some. In response to that, and in order to provide an alternative for different minded people, Conservapedia was created.

Now….I don’t want to come across as being a conservative basher, because I’m really not. My own politics and beliefs may be on the left side of the line, but I have close friends and family who believe different things than I do and I’m cool wit dat.

However, I really can’t help but find this incredibly amusing. Like, forget Dilbert and Toothpaste for Dinner, from now on I’m just going to do a random search on conservapedia for my daily laugh.

Here is what conservapedia has to say on everyone’s favorite phallus - the cactus:

Cactus
From Conservapedia

Cacti are those succelent plants which belong to the family Cactaceae. Every cactus is a succulent, but not every succulent is a cactus. The secularist view of the Cactaceae is that they are roughly two million years old, and that they have evolved exclusively in the new world. This view fails to explain, however, how it is that the Opuntia genus is native to the island of Opus, near Greece. Cacti are known for their high content of alkaloids, and have often been used in the sacramental rights of the Native Americans. Because of this, the early Catholic missionaries in the west thought the plants to be the work of Satan, and this is perhaps a preferable view to that of materialistic evolution since it is difficult to imagine how something like mescaline could have evolved by natural selection. Besides that, the psychoactive content of many cacti have inspired the writings of such ungodly men as Aldous Huxley and Albert Hoffman.

Several species of cactus are now endangered in the west due to “poaching” by collectors and invasive species. But, since Genesis suggests that man has been given dominion over all of the earth, the environmentalist concerns on this note are entirely inappropriate. It may also be that environmentalists, in addition to flauting the Word of God, are merely concerned about the effects that declining cactus populations will have on their supply of mescaline.

Controversy

Although secularists maintain that the cacti have evolved over the last two million years, there is very little biological or genetic research on cacti because such research, if published, would reveal the deep irreducible complexity displayed by these plants. Consider the (allegedly) related Gymnocalycium baldianum and Gymnocalycium bobenbenderianum, pictured below.

Image:cacti.JPG

A cursory glance suggests that it is very nearly impossible that these two distinct species of cactus share a common ancestor, as so many materialists maintain. What’s more, the transition from one of these species to the other by evolutionary forces would require the purchasing of complex specified information without the intervention of intelligence and this, by William Dembski’s No Free Lunch Theorem is impossible.

It could also be mentioned that Intelligent Design is possibly demonstrated in the great Saguaro cactus of the Sonoran Desert. These cactus are very slowly maturing and require a great deal of energy, have little cold tolerance, and are prone to destruction by pests. This is hardly the optimal configuration predicted by Darwinism, and presents quite a problem to the materialist point of view. On the other hand, the natives believe that the Saguaro are the incarnations of their ancestors. Because Intelligent Design endows the required designer with no attributes other than intelligence (it need only be an intelligent agent), the view that the giant Saguaro are reincarnated ancestors of the native population is a preferable scientific explanation to that of Darwinian evolution.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 26 February 2007 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  193
Joined  2006-01-23

Carlotta im an overall conservative, and i agree with you, the site is hilarious. Politics (in general) is a funny thing, and its amazing how… well… idiotic ...both sides of the spectrum can be given the time.

Signature 

conteskimo.blogspot.com

Posted: 26 February 2007 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02

Well, I actually thought at first that the site was a joke, that maybe some witty liberals created it in order to poke fun at the conservatives. While I haven’t completely ruled out that possibility as yet, I’m afraid that it very well may be real. LOL

I just hesitated posting it because I didn’t want to start another “god fight”, but it was too funny to not share. smile

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 26 February 2007 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

Heh, yah, it definitely has a joke feel about it.  However, like the best jokes, it’s not entirely out of the realm of possibility.  Real or not, it is especially funny.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 27 February 2007 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

I vote for “hoax”. Reading a bit here and there, there are quite sly satyrical comments in it. Take the entry on Bill Clinton for example. It contains:

Bill Clinton managed to serve two terms without botching the prosecution of two wars, manipulating intelligence, engaging in a systematic program of torture, or mishandling the federal response to flooding of a major American city. Obviously, he is the devil incarnate.

Or that on the “Old” George Bush:

a war with Iraq in which he deliberately made the decision to end the conflict when the original goal of liberating Kuwait was achieved, and to stop short of invading Iraq (That is, he formulated an “exit strategy” before entering.). His decision to not invade Iraq, in retrospect, looks like genius.

Or on The United States of America:

The USA is rightly considered by its patriotic citizens to be the best country in the world. Previously such beliefs (also known as Manifest destiny) were held by citizens of former superpowers, such as the Roman Empire, the Soviet Union and the Third Reich).

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 27 February 2007 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2007-01-25
LaMa - 27 February 2007 11:40 AM

Or on The United States of America:

The USA is rightly considered by its patriotic citizens to be the best country in the world. Previously such beliefs (also known as Manifest destiny) were held by citizens of former superpowers, such as the Roman Empire, the Soviet Union and the Third Reich).

*Falls off chair in a fit of hilarity.*

Signature 

Judge Alistair McCallum: “Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 27 February 2007 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02

Okay, there is no way this can be real. I’m going to move it to the hoax forum until further investigations can take place (i.e. I get back from dropping my husband off from work and googlize it). wink

Signature 

Posted: 27 February 2007 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02

Okay.

Apparently, from what I can tell, Conservapedia is indeed a sincere attempt at a right wing conservative wiki. It is not meant to be a joke. However, it seems to suffer a bit of vandalism from naughty people poking fun at them. LOL

Signature 

Posted: 27 February 2007 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2007-01-25

Ha! Good.

Signature 

Judge Alistair McCallum: “Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 27 February 2007 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02

Further investigation reveals that many of the entries on conservapedia are “cribbed” from A Beka books. A Beka is a private publishing company affiliated with this college.

I will refrain from saying too much here, lest I offend, but lets just say that I went to a school that was closely aligned with that college and was actually taught from A Beka textbooks. Therefore, in my opinion, much of what you see on conservapedia that might be seen as outrageous is indeed meant to be serious. Vandalism might be an issue, but sadly, I don’t think most of it is.

*sigh*

Signature 

Posted: 27 February 2007 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

I think it’s part real part hoax.  Obviously it all depends on who’s editing it.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 01 March 2007 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

The cactus entry from Madcarlotta’s original post has now been edited (on March 1) to a single line:

Cactus is the collective term for plants from the Cactaceae family. They typically grow in hot desert enviorments.

I guess “environments” was too British in spelling, so they choose “enviorments”.... wink

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

1 of 3