1 of 1
{/paginate}
Eighty-Sixed
Posted: 27 September 2005 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

The story is from the Sydney Morning Herald, but I couldn’t get the link to work without registering…

‘Get Smart’ actor dies
September 27, 2005 - 6:24AM

Don Adams, the wry-voiced comedian who starred as the fumbling secret agent Maxwell Smart in the 1960s television spoof of James Bond movies Get Smart has died. He was 82.

Adams died of a lung infection late yesterday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre, his friend and former agent Bruce Tufeld said today, adding the actor broke his hip a year ago and had been in ill health since.

As the inept Agent 86 of the super-secret federal agency CONTROL, Adams captured TV viewers with his antics in combating the evil agents of CHAOS. When his explanations failed to convince the villains or his boss, he tried another tack: “Would you believe…?” It became a popular catchphrase.

Smart was also prone to spilling things on the desk or person of his boss Thaddius (actor Edward Platt). Smart’s apologetic “Sorry about that, chief” also entered the American lexicon. The spy gadgets, which aped those of the Bond movies, were a popular feature, especially the pre-cell-phone telephone in a shoe.

Get Smart twice won the Emmy for best comedy series with three Emmys for Adams as comedy actor.

Adams, who married and divorced three times and had seven children, served as the voice for the popular cartoon series Inspector Gadget. In 1980, he appeared as Maxwell Smart in a feature movie, The Nude Bomb, about a madman whose bomb destroyed people’s clothing.

AP

Image Attachments
CAIVO1QN.jpg
 Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 27 September 2005 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

I mentioned this on the forum last night, but nobody seemed interested.  I guess you and I are the only ones who care. downer

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 27 September 2005 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Well, since the only thing mentioned there that I know is Inspector Gadget, and I never knew he voiced him…

It’s terribly sad for his family, but I held no lingering childhood affection for him or anything.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 27 September 2005 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

He was also the voice for Tennessee Tuxedo.

http://www.toontracker.com/totaltv/tennesse.htm

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 27 September 2005 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Never heard of it.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 27 September 2005 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26368
Joined  2004-11-29

Chary, by the time I’d seen your post regarding Don Adams, you’d already scarpered.

It is sad that he’s died.  But that’s life for you…At least it’s not as if he’s died young at the height of his career or anything…

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 28 September 2005 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I used to watch the reruns of it in the summer, I just thought it was interesting…I know Chary is into this stuff…

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}