Hungary      19.7%    18.1%
Lithuania    16.3%    15.8

So you’re not that far out in front!
smile

Posted: 23 February 2007 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2007-02-23

those darn Maltese women!  Always trying to “gain” on us (I know, stupid pun)

Posted: 23 February 2007 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

But everyone around here loves puns sooooo much.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 26 February 2007 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2007-01-25

I’m sure those stats are quite recent but there was an article on BBC website today about how the South Pacific is the most obese region, see following link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6396111.stm

Signature 

Judge Alistair McCallum: “Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 13 March 2007 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

More confirmation that it’s not just the measurements that matter:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6444851.stm

Attraction ‘determined by walk’

There really is something in the way she moves, according to researchers.

An hourglass figure has long been perceived to be the ideal figure for a woman to have.

But New York University researchers have found that to be found attractive, a woman had to move in a feminine way - swaying her hips.

Men, the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences paper found, were more attractive if they moved with a “shoulder swagger”.

The waist-hip ratio has long been thought to be key to Western perceptions of attractiveness, with a small waist and bigger hips the ideal combination.

Marilyn Monroe, and now Beyonce and Jennifer Lopez are famous examples of women with that figure.

Its popularity may be down to media images, or because Western women do not need to have strong and muscular bodies in order to carry out manual labour, unlike women in developing countries.

But the US research suggests they would never have achieved their sex symbol status if they did not move in the right way.

Not just measurements

The team carried out a series of studies involving over 700 participants who were shown a variety of animations and videos of people moving.

Some showed shadow figures, where it was not possible to see if it was a man or a woman, while others obviously showed a man or a woman.

No matter which format was being used, the participants rated women or “female” figures as more attractive if their hips swayed as they walked, while men were more attractive if they had the characteristic shoulder movement.

The research also confirmed the waist-hip ratio assumption, with women’s attractiveness being rated higher if their waist-hip ratio was small and men’s being higher if their ratio was large.

But Kerri Johnson and Louis Tassinary who led the research, say their work shows attractiveness is not as simple as the difference between two measurements.

Writing in PNAS, the researchers said: “The body’s shape and motion provoke basic social perceptions, biological sex and gender - ie masculinity or femininity respectively.

“The compatibility of these basic precepts predicts perceived attractiveness.”

The team say their findings only apply to Western cultures, and other societies will judge attractiveness depending on their most prized feminine and masculine traits.

Dr George Fieldman, principal lecturer in psychology at Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College said: “This is quite plausible.

“It’s the movement which attracts, and not just the waist-hip ratio per se.”

He added: “It would be interesting to see what the ideal combination of measurements and wiggle is.”

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 13 March 2007 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

That’s a good article Acci.  I hadn’t really thought about that and yet in the back of my mind (and I suspect ALL of us) we really do respond to movement rather than a static silhouette shape.  Even in animals we are attracted or amused or enamoured by their specific movements.

I also think it changes by generation too, some of the movements like ‘gangsta’ struts are preferred by teens today.

No matter the size of a man, I tend to like broad shoulders compared to the rest of his body and apparently, yes, the movement of those shoulders.  I also am keen on thighs and butt.

In movies it’s the female hip roll accentuated by stride that makes certain actresses famous.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 13 March 2007 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

I’ve always known that a lot of attractiveness has to do with more than just looks and proportions.  In a static photograph, my wife looks. . .well, okay, she still looks darn hot even without any movement.  But pictures leave out a lot of what made her so physically attractive.  A lot of a girl’s sexiness depends on her movements, poise, gracefulness (or lack thereof), et cetera.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 13 March 2007 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

That article was pretty interesting, and yeah, I’d agree with that. Though the gangsta strut is a major turnoff…

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 13 March 2007 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

*wanders back and forth in front of a mirror, practicing his strut*

Signature 

Posted: 13 March 2007 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

Heh…I’m so going to start practicing hip wiggles now.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 13 March 2007 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

I’m sure you’ll have no problem finding a volunteer critical audience among the menfolk of this website, Razela.

Signature 

{paginate}
5 of 6
{/paginate}