{paginate}
1 of 2
{/paginate}
Painted Cats
Posted: 12 February 2007 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  169
Joined  2005-09-23

I received an email today where the photos are of cats that someone painted - as in, took a real cat and airbrushed it. I researched a bit and found that the photos are from a book, Why Paint Cats: The Ethics of Feline Aesthetics. The sites I found said that the cats in the photographs were painted with a non-toxic, vegetable dye but I am suspicious. Why aren’t the whiskers dyed, too? How would an artist isolate the whiskers? In art school, we used a clear plastic called “frisket” (possibly misspelled - sorry. Years of art fumes have rotted my brain) but that isn’t something one could/would apply to a living animal. I can’t even get my cat to sit still for a regular picture much less to air brush her!

Here is a link to some photos and arguments for/against spray painting your cat:
http://www.whypaintcats.com/

Posted: 12 February 2007 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26039
Joined  2004-11-08

One day when the cats unite and enslave humanity this website will be used as evidence in the trials to come.

Let it be known that I, for one, welcome our new feline Overlords.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 12 February 2007 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

That cat with the butterfly face is sweet.

But I wouldn’t really want a cat painted if it could harm them.

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 12 February 2007 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

One of the e-mailed comments on the site made me laugh so much!

I will be happy if we can help sell your book. We tell people about it when we must. Painting Cats is makes more sense than trying to get them to paint. We tried that too.

LOL

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 12 February 2007 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  169
Joined  2005-09-23

A friend just emailed me that the cats probably were sedated to be painted. I know mine would. She already tries to kill me in my sleep and that’s just for not getting to her litter box soon enough!!

Posted: 12 February 2007 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16

It all makes so much more sense now.

Please spray or neuter your pets.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 13 February 2007 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Snopes have put up an article on this.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 13 February 2007 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

They do seem like photoshop jobbies to me smile

I once stuck my poor cat Otto in a vat of beet juice to see if it would dye his fur. He didn’t mind, he was weird like that, any of my other cats would have ripped me several new ones for just thinking about it. He was a lovely shade of pink for about a week or two, at least his white bits were.

I know there are places where you can pay a pretty penny to have your dog dyed any colour you can conceive of. There was this guy in Greenwich Village who had a large poodle that was a different shade everytime I saw him. My hairdresser friend used to put various colours of manic panic on the white tip of her beagles tail too. I’d think twice before using manic panic on a cat though. Dogs are different because they don’t groom the way cats do. Even though dyes like manic panic are non-toxic, it still can’t be good for a cat to ingest large quantities of artificial colour.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 13 February 2007 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16
MadCarlotta - 13 February 2007 11:08 PM

My hairdresser friend used to put various colours of manic panic on the white tip of her beagles tail too. I’d think twice before using manic panic on a cat though. Dogs are different because they don’t groom the way cats do. Even though dyes like manic panic are non-toxic, it still can’t be good for a cat to ingest large quantities of artificial colour.

Well, if dogs did groom themselves like cats it would probably make it easier to clean up the yard after they’ve done their business. LOL

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 14 February 2007 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I once stuck my poor cat Otto in a vat of beet juice to see if it would dye his fur.

You are a very strange person.

Remember:  Bastet is keeping track of everything you do to your cats, and will hold you accountable in the afterlife. . .

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 14 February 2007 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26366
Joined  2004-11-29
Boo - 13 February 2007 09:38 PM

Snopes have put up an article on this.

I thought I’d seen the Koi Cat before…

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 14 February 2007 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02
Accipiter - 14 February 2007 06:06 AM

I once stuck my poor cat Otto in a vat of beet juice to see if it would dye his fur.

You are a very strange person.

Remember:  Bastet is keeping track of everything you do to your cats, and will hold you accountable in the afterlife. . .

Oh, I’m on very good terms with Bastet, don’t worry wink  My husband on the other hand…..

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

{paginate}
1 of 2
{/paginate}

‹‹ Apocalypto      Bachman/King & "running"... ››