Total Posts:  43
Joined  2004-11-08

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050926/od_nm/poland_accident_dc

Posted: 27 September 2005 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  373
Joined  2004-04-20

How in the world does an 18-month-old child start a car? It must have been in neutral, but then how did it start reversing? Wasn’t the brake on?

Posted: 27 September 2005 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I get so many claims for this type of thing.  My daughter knows how to turn the key in the ignition, if the keys are already in it.  She can’t get it to turn over…But she stands in the floorboard and turns it so the radio comes on.  She only does it when I’m sitting my mom’s driveway talking to my sister.  Usually she plays when them so that they just fall on the floor, though.  And she hasn’t figured out how to get the key to slide back in effectively.

What I’m thinking happened is that kid got the car started, then started jerking the gear shaft back and forth, imitating mom…That’s when the car jumped into reverse and moved it backwards.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 27 September 2005 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09
Maegan - 27 September 2005 01:22 PM

I get so many claims for this type of thing.  My daughter knows how to turn the key in the ignition, if the keys are already in it.  She can’t get it to turn over…But she stands in the floorboard and turns it so the radio comes on.  She only does it when I’m sitting my mom’s driveway talking to my sister.  Usually she plays when them so that they just fall on the floor, though.  And she hasn’t figured out how to get the key to slide back in effectively.

What I’m thinking happened is that kid got the car started, then started jerking the gear shaft back and forth, imitating mom…That’s when the car jumped into reverse and moved it backwards.

so, this is something that happens often….

Posted: 27 September 2005 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

I’m thinking that’s incredibly dangerous Maegan.  You’re just asking for an accident.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 28 September 2005 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

I’m in the driver’s seat.  Where would we go with my foot on the brake?  Jocelynn is not allowed in the car alone!  See, I sit in the front seat, sort of tilty facing out, to talk to my sister or mom after picking Jocelynn up.  I got into the car holding Jocelynn, and I’ve made it Jocelynn’s job to carry the keys outside for us…so she slides off my lap onto the floor.  If the keys are not in the ignition already, she can’t do anything but pretend to put them in.  If I’ve taken the keys and put them into the ignition, she either turns on the radio (turns ignition just a bit, then actually turns the volume knob on the radio)...then she starts fiddling with the keys again, where they fall out, and she tries earnestly (but unsuccessfully) to put them back into the ignition.

And yes it does happen a lot.  A LOT.  Usually it’s 3-4 yr olds, very seldom the child is older than that.  I think once they’re school age they get the idea of what’s okay and what’s not.  I had one where a guy put his 2 yr old in the front passenger seat of his truck (had not buckled him in yet), and walked around to get into the driver’s seat.  The car was already on, with the a/c running so it would be cool inside.  In the time it took the guy to get around to the driver’s side, the kid had jumped over the middle console and kicked the car into nuetral, while grabbing the steering wheel to pull himself into the seat.  The car rolled down a hill, through a fence, into a neighbor’s tree, and over another child.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 28 September 2005 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

Ah, I didn’t realize that you were in the car.  Sorry.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 28 September 2005 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

I might be weird but I’m not THAT terrible of a mother!

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}