Apocalypto
Posted: 17 January 2007 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

WARNING: review contains plot spoilers!

Mel Gibson sucks….

And why? Well, of course because he holds questionable ideas (and certainly his father does), and because his newest movie sucks too.

I went to Mel Gibson’s new movie Apocalypto last Saturday, with my Friday-evening-friends. And was not impressed. The only thing remarkable about the movie is that it is completely spoken in Maya, not a word of English. For the rest, it is one long chain of perversive cruelty and clich

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 17 January 2007 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

In reality, the large majority of people wouldn’t pick up on even one of the ‘blunders’ in the film.  Few people have a comprehensive knowledge of mayan culture.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 17 January 2007 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

That’s true of course.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 17 January 2007 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-29

That is why movie makers can get away with revising history and then over time their depicted version of history becomes the popular belief of the way things actually happened, when it is really anything but true.

Signature 

Posted: 17 January 2007 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

Remember how movies twist history.  One of my son’s favorite movies is
The Mummy which has everyone speaking ancient Egyptian including the modern characters.  Since Egyptian is a centuries dead language that we only know how to translate b/c of the Rosetta stone, we don’t know how it was spoken.  Since Maya culture is probably more popular culture obscure than Egyptian, of course we don’t know as much.  This is such an important part of the culture of the Americas, it is a shame that it is not more learned about

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 18 January 2007 12:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
I am an ex associate - 18 January 2007 01:03 AM

Remember how movies twist history.  One of my son’s favorite movies is
The Mummy which has everyone speaking ancient Egyptian including the modern characters.  Since Egyptian is a centuries dead language that we only know how to translate b/c of the Rosetta stone, we don’t know how it was spoken.  Since Maya culture is probably more popular culture obscure than Egyptian, of course we don’t know as much.  This is such an important part of the culture of the Americas, it is a shame that it is not more learned about

Hmmm, I think we may actually have some idea of how ancient Egyptian (which of course begs the question of which type of ancient Egyptian, but we’ll ignore that for now) might have been pronounced due to transliterations into other languages that we do know of.  I’m not sure of this, though; I’ll have to check around and see.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 18 January 2007 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

One of my favourite bits in Stargate (the movie), was that Dr. Jackson couldn’t make himself understood because his Egyptian ‘accent’ was so bad.

Both Stargate and The Mummy used Stuart Tyson Smith (a real Egyptologist from UCSB) to write the Egyptian dialogue.

If anyone’s really interested (and no-one ever is), I recommend “How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs” by Mark Collier (University of Liverpool) and Bill Manley (British Museum). [Amazon Link]

Posted: 18 January 2007 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

Ugh!  I absolutely refuse to see that movie.  The only thing that surprises me is how many people did.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 18 January 2007 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05
Razela - 18 January 2007 04:53 PM

Ugh!  I absolutely refuse to see that movie.  The only thing that surprises me is how many people did.

Well it’s not one of Kurt Russel’s best, I’ll admit.
smile

Posted: 18 January 2007 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-29

Now you are making me want to see it just to know for myself.

Signature 

Posted: 19 January 2007 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-01-19

It may be remembered as the “truth” but the movie had several errors I think.

The Spanish conquerers in Mexico defeated the Aztecs not Mayans.

There were no total solar eclipses of the sun in Mexico in the 20 years before and during the Spanish invasion.

Poisonous frogs are in South America not Mexico

Posted: 19 January 2007 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

Nice research Hoxam.  oh, and welcome to the forum.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse