Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

A warning label on a washing machine at a laundromat that warns,

Image Attachments
Cover-WarningLabelBook.jpg
 Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 10 January 2007 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

The argument that these types of labels can protect both the consumer from harm and the company from litigation seems rather shaky to me.  The companies can’t warn against every possible stupidity, and so saying that the consumer doesn’t have to use common sense and can sue if something isn’t specifically warned against leaves too many openings for ridiculous lawsuits.  And it might also give some consumers the idea that if something isn’t specifically prohibited by the label, then it’s okay to do it; they might decide to forego any sort of responsibility of their own to use their judgment.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 10 January 2007 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8451
Joined  2006-02-28

The labels in most cases are a direct result of litigation Acci… someone, somewhere DID some of this ridiculous stuff and then sued the companies who have created these labels.

I agree with your statement that people might decide to forgo responsibility… it seems the norm rather than the exception nowadays downer

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 10 January 2007 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2005-06-15
oppiejoe - 10 January 2007 02:12 PM

I agree with your statement that people might decide to forgo responsibility… it seems the norm rather than the exception nowadays downer

Do you think it could be more the case that people do these irresponsible acts on purpose so they can “get rich quick” by suing the companies?

Are there any web sites that display actual pictures of these warning labels? It could be good for a laugh.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 10 January 2007 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I think that one of the best and most all-inclusive warning labels (as far as protecting from litigation) I’ve seen was on a laboratory machine I had to work with.  The machine was of a type that had some rather serious hazards by its very nature, and was even worse than it would otherwise have been because it was really a piece of junk.  On the side of it was a great big bright yellow warning label, with all sorts of warnings written in Italian.  Then it had in English:  “WARNING—DO NOT!”.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 11 January 2007 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8451
Joined  2006-02-28
Accipiter - 10 January 2007 11:27 PM

I think that one of the best and most all-inclusive warning labels (as far as protecting from litigation) I’ve seen was on a laboratory machine I had to work with.  The machine was of a type that had some rather serious hazards by its very nature, and was even worse than it would otherwise have been because it was really a piece of junk.  On the side of it was a great big bright yellow warning label, with all sorts of warnings written in Italian.  Then it had in English:  “WARNING—DO NOT!”.

LOL Acci

Peter… there are links to photos of some of the winners in the original post…
Photo page

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 11 January 2007 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16
oppiejoe - 11 January 2007 04:30 PM

Peter… there are links to photos of some of the winners in the original post…
Photo page

Interesting.

You can tell that someone uses dates to choose their Lotto numbers.

And the original yellow pages?  With puppies on the front?

I always wondered how the pages got to be yellow…

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}

‹‹ Prank the Monkey      Apocalypto ››