2 of 2
{/paginate}
Now on eBay: Tuscan Whole Milk!
Posted: 03 December 2006 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Thanks MadCarlotta, I just could not imagine what it might be really.  I do know that when you’re around certain fragrances for a long time, you become more insensitive to them eventually like people with cats or those of us who smoke.  Though we can still smell the aromas of these things, they become so much a part of our daily environment that we don’t feel attacked by them.

You description of ‘eggy’ is most appropriate.  I didn’t know ozone could also make that smell?

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 03 December 2006 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I think I found the answer: 

http://phoenix.about.com/cs/desert/a/creosote.htm

The Creosote Bush
From Judy Hedding,
Your Guide to Phoenix, AZ.

What Is That Smell?

The creosote bush (Latin name: Larrea tridentata) is common in the Desert Southwest. The creosote bush can be identified from its waxy green leaves and yellow flowers. These later turn to round, white wooly seed-vessels, which are the fruit of the creosote bush. In Arizona it is only found in the southern third of the state because it cannot exist above 5,000 feet of elevation. In the Phoenix area, it is the dominant desert shrub. It is pronounced: cree’-uh-sote.

Many people who are new to the desert notice the peculiar odor in the desert on the rare occasions when we have rain. People who move to the Phoenix area look at each other and ask, “What is that smell?” It is the creosote bush. It is a very unique odor, and although many people don’t care for it, some seem to like it just because it conveys a positive message

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 04 December 2006 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Boo - 03 December 2006 04:33 AM

Fight! Fight! Fight!

*cough*
Sorry.
wink

Hmmmm. . .Hulitoons is older, and so probably has experience and cunning on her side.  On the other hand, Razela has the cymbals.  I’m not sure who to bet for.

I have to wonder just how many of those seemingly serious reviews for the milk are sarcasm, and how many honest.  Of course for most of the reviews it’s quite clear which is the case.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 04 December 2006 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Hulitoons, I can’t attest to ozone smelling like sulfur personally. I THINK I know what ozone smells like, but I"m not sure. What I’ve smelled didn’t exactly smell like eggs, but it had an “eggy” component. Maybe combined with intense heat?

I had just read about it in an article on air pollutions. I had a friend that was into rock climbing, hiking, etc, and he had mentioned the smell around Las Vegas. The article I read specifically mentioned a sulfur smell in that area and attributed it to ozone, so I forwarded it to him. I figured he might not want to exercise while breathing in high ozone levels wink

Sounds like you found the culprit anyhow. I’ll take a stinky plant over air pollution anyday!

I lived in NYC for 15 years, and it obvioiusly reeked of MANY things that I took no notice of, but visitors would gag over (Like the second avenue subway station on the F line, for instance, lol)

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 04 December 2006 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

Ozone is generally considered to have a clean crisp smell like clean clothes or bed sheets.  Trees emit hydrocarbons, by-products of photosynthesis; together with sunlight, they produce ozone. The electrical discharge of lightning can also produce ozone. That is why the air always smells so fresh after a thunderstorm and in a forest.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 05 December 2006 02:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

heh, this is another white dwarf forum.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 05 December 2006 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

And it’s all your fault, too, Razela.  wink

But to contribute my part to it, ozone does have leave a bit of an odour, but it’s not really sulphurous.  More. . .acrid, I suppose.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 05 December 2006 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10
Accipiter - 05 December 2006 07:46 AM

And it’s all your fault, too, Razela.  wink

It usually is.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

{paginate}
2 of 2
{/paginate}