Posted: 15 September 2005 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7682
Joined  2005-06-05

Via Reuters
By Philip Pullella
Wed Sep 14,11:27 AM ET

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Orthodontists have national conventions, as do lawyers and computer salespeople. So why not exorcists? At the end of his weekly general audience Wednesday   Pope Benedict greeted Italian exorcists who, he disclosed, are currently holding their national convention.

The Pope encouraged them to “carry on their important work in the service of the Church.”

Problem was that until the Pope spoke few people outside the inner circle knew that a convention of Beelzebub-busters was going on, presumably in Rome.

And where were they holding it? In a church, a hotel, a graveyard?

“They try to keep these things quiet,” said a Catholic professor who has dealings with exorcists.

The Roman Catholic Church has shown growing interest in exorcism in Italy.

In 1999, the   Vatican issued its first updated ritual for exorcism since 1614 and warned that the devil is still at work.

The official Roman Catholic exorcism starts with prayers, a blessing and sprinkling of holy water, the laying on of hands on the possessed, and the making of the sign of the cross.

It ends with an “imperative formula” in which the devil is ordered to leave the possessed.

The formula begins: “I order you, Satan…” It goes on to denounce Satan as “prince of the world” and “enemy of human salvation.” It ends: “Go back, Satan.”

COURSE ON EXORCISM

A Vatican university announced last Thursday that for the second year running it will hold a course on exorcism and Satanism for Roman Catholic priests.

The course starts next month at the Regina Apostolorum, one of Rome’s most prestigious pontifical universities, and this year participants can take it not only in person at the Rome campus but via videoconference from other Italian cities.

This, a university statement said, was because of great interest after last year’s course, which was attended by nearly 130 people.

The four-month course, which begins in October, is what the university calls inter-disciplinary. It includes medical, psychological and religious aspects of Satanism and exorcism.

According to some estimates, as many as 5,000 people are thought to be members of Satanic cults in Italy with 17-to 25-year-olds making up three quarters of them.

Interest in the devil and the occult has been boosted by films such as “The Exorcist” in 1973 and last year’s “Exorcist: The Beginning.”

Last year, Italy was gripped by the story of two teenage members of a heavy metal rock band called the “Beasts of Satan” who were killed by other band members in a human sacrifice.

The deaths horrified Catholic Italy, with pages of newspapers given over to descriptions of the black candles and goats’ skulls decorating one victim’s bedroom and witness statements of sexual violence.

Signature 

FOLLANSBEE, WV; Having been alerted to the coming apocalypse at a recent church service, 6-year-old Julie Strand decided she needed to live for today and immediately stuck a peanut M & M up her left nostril.

Posted: 15 September 2005 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5071
Joined  2005-03-16

Kinda on topic, I seem to recall reading about a year or so ago, that the Chicago archdiocese alone has 3 full time exorcists.

Posted: 15 September 2005 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

...Satan can’t possible be the one posessing these people.  After all, there is only one of him, and lots of people being posessed.  I’m sure it’s his minions and things.  They should really learn their names.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 15 September 2005 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

Remember, the Church makes the rules….not God or Satan…..interestingly enough…

Posted: 15 September 2005 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

I’m not Catholic.  So that means I can cast out minions as well as Satan (which I don’t think really happens all that much)...so, the Catholic fight against posessions is sort of weak.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 15 September 2005 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7682
Joined  2005-06-05

I believe it was the classic film “The Exorcist” when, asked who he was, the possessor replied “we are legion. we are one but we are many”

not sure if thats the exact wording but the implication was that Regan (Reagan?) was possessed by a number of demons/spirits/minions not by one specific one or Satan himself.

Signature 

FOLLANSBEE, WV; Having been alerted to the coming apocalypse at a recent church service, 6-year-old Julie Strand decided she needed to live for today and immediately stuck a peanut M & M up her left nostril.

Posted: 15 September 2005 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

The legion thing comes from:

Coming from the sea of Galilee Christ entered the land of the Gerasenes. He was immediately met by a man from the tombs cut into the mountains of the area. The man was said to be possessed of an unclean spirit. Nothing could bind this man, not even chains. He lived in the mountains, crying, and cutting himself with stones. But, so it is told, when seeing Christ approaching, the man went to him seeking help. The uncleaned demon immediately recognized Christ, and Christ the demon. Christ, then, summoned the spirit to leave the man, and asked his name. “My name is Legion,” answered the spirit, “for we are many.” Once the demons left the man, Christ sent them into a nearby heard of swine who then jumped in to the sea and drown. (Mark 5:1-13)

Posted: 15 September 2005 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06
Winona - 15 September 2005 03:21 PM

He lived in the mountains, crying, and cutting himself with stones.

Interesting. Auto-mutilation (often cutting into oneself) is an often occurring symptom in Borderline patients and some forms of schizophrenia.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 15 September 2005 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

He was also naked…....

Posted: 15 September 2005 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

La, that’s what I was immediately thinking of, too.

Posted: 17 September 2005 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2004-11-08

I think that we as human beings should focus more on fighting the true evil (a.k.a. Walmart) and less on Satan.

Posted: 18 September 2005 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

Don’t you know anything??  Satan is controlling Walmart.  DUH.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

1 of 2