3 of 4
World War Z
Posted: 27 September 2006 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3174
Joined  2005-05-19

Cool, i’ll start polishing my zombie-cudgel too. Either of you got a handy Claymore we can use?

Signature 

“Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 27 September 2006 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Mostly just sporks…

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 27 September 2006 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

I’ve got a reasonable collection of knives, plus some martial arts weapons and a martial artist husband to use them. We’ll all do just fine with our combined forces.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 04 January 2007 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16

Just got this book for Christmas.  (Along with the author’s Zombie Survival Guide.)  I’m only about 60 pages into it, but I’m enjoying it.  Good, fun read. smile

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 04 January 2007 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  2005-10-21

Actually, some friends of mine and I had a lengthly (until 4 am) discussion on what the best course of action would be in the event of a Zombie Uprising..

I live near Sacramento, CA. My survival would be to grab what I could, then head to the river. Water is your best defense against Zombies, as I’m not too certain they can swim well. Float, maybe, but even then it’ll be hard for them to direct an attack in a fast-moving current. I would then head down the river to the San Francisco Bay. Why?

Alcatraz.

It’s a barren rock, but it’s a defensible rock. The likelyhood of zombies making it to the place are minimal, and even if they could, we’d be too far out in the bay for our delicious brains to be smelled. Sadly, there actually are no man-eating sharks in the bay, though there’s a few species that might appreciate fresh carrion. A place designed to keep people in can become a place designed to keep people out, rather quickly. Got someone who *might* be infected? Lock them up a few days just to keep an eye on them.  Bear in mind too that while zombies will quckly infest any major city, they won’t *stay* there, eventually wandering off to find more prey.

There’s not much that can live there, but there’s enough for a small garden. Supplanted with fish from the bay, the occasional seagull, and livestock recovered from farms along the river, you could do well. Pigs and goats kept in former prison cells.  Once the zombies die off or wander out of the cities along the bay, there is a lot of scrounging that can be done, with a safe retreat to the boats just a block or two away.

I figure you could support about fifty people easily, a hundred once things got properly set up and self-sufficient, and as many as five hundred if supplies from an outside source were coming in. With a little work, you could even have a decent fishing community in the Bay and its tributaries, using the place as a central trade post and marketplace. And if some tinpot decides to claim Alcatraz first, not a problem. There’s plenty of other defensible islands in the bay and on the rivers. Heck, with some work and a little dynamite, one could even demolish chunks of the bridges in the area and live hundreds of feet above the waves..

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 05 January 2007 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16

According to the “legend” of this book, you won’t be safe there.  It hasn’t said so yet, but it has made some allusion to the fact that zombies do travel underwater.  They don’t need to breathe, after all.

Well, you could be safe there because it could be unlikely a zombie would wander underwater and just happen up onto Alcatraz.  With the currents and other obstacles underwater you would be relatively safe.  Plus zombies apparently can’t climb.  Probably can go up stairs and such small plateaus, but nothing too large.  (Again, not to a part in the book that describes limitations yet.)

But you would certainly want to have guards and patrols to keep a look out regardless.  Especially since other non-zombies may covet your island sanctuary. wink

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 05 January 2007 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Robin Bobcat - 05 January 2007 04:15 AM

There’s not much that can live there, but there’s enough for a small garden. Supplanted with fish from the bay, the occasional seagull, and livestock recovered from farms along the river, you could do well. Pigs and goats kept in former prison cells.  Once the zombies die off or wander out of the cities along the bay, there is a lot of scrounging that can be done, with a safe retreat to the boats just a block or two away.

What about zombie seagulls or zombie fish or zombie cabbages, though?!?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 05 January 2007 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

That’s true, you have to watch out for those zombie cabbages. They might sit there and rustle their leaves in a mildly threatening manner, or the zombie cauliflowers could ping infected florets at you…

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 09 January 2007 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2005-06-25

There was zombie dogs in Resident Evil.

Signature 

This is my signiture

Posted: 09 January 2007 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2005-06-25

Damn imagine zombie germs.  We’d all be dead.

Signature 

This is my signiture

Posted: 20 January 2007 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-01-20
Robin Bobcat - 05 January 2007 04:15 AM

Actually, some friends of mine and I had a lengthly (until 4 am) discussion on what the best course of action would be in the event of a Zombie Uprising..

I live near Sacramento, CA. My survival would be to grab what I could, then head to the river. Water is your best defense against Zombies, as I’m not too certain they can swim well. Float, maybe, but even then it’ll be hard for them to direct an attack in a fast-moving current. I would then head down the river to the San Francisco Bay. Why?

Alcatraz.

It’s a barren rock, but it’s a defensible rock. The likelyhood of zombies making it to the place are minimal, and even if they could, we’d be too far out in the bay for our delicious brains to be smelled. Sadly, there actually are no man-eating sharks in the bay, though there’s a few species that might appreciate fresh carrion. A place designed to keep people in can become a place designed to keep people out, rather quickly. Got someone who *might* be infected? Lock them up a few days just to keep an eye on them.  Bear in mind too that while zombies will quckly infest any major city, they won’t *stay* there, eventually wandering off to find more prey.

I figure you could support about fifty people easily, a hundred once things got properly set up and self-sufficient, and as many as five hundred if supplies from an outside source were coming in. With a little work, you could even have a decent fishing community in the Bay and its tributaries, using the place as a central trade post and marketplace. And if some tinpot decides to claim Alcatraz first, not a problem. There’s plenty of other defensible islands in the bay and on the rivers. Heck, with some work and a little dynamite, one could even demolish chunks of the bridges in the area and live hundreds of feet above the waves..

Call me sad but after reading this book and the other one ‘zombie survival guide’ it is a good place to hide on but so would any other amrican who lives just of the coast from it.  Best is here in the uk were i plan of living the the mountiens of wales were the sas train….........  U r all welcome to join me but any bites and i will shoot u on sight.

3 of 4