Classic Star Trek being George Lucas-fied!
Posted: 17 September 2006 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08

Four decades after Capt. Kirk and crew zoomed off at warp speed to “the final frontier,” the iconic sci-fi series Star Trek returns to broadcast television this week with an extensive digital face lift.

CBS Paramount Domestic Television, a unit of CBS, is digitally remastering all 79 episodes of the original series to enhance the show’s 1960s-era visual effects with 21st-century computer-generated graphics.

“Nothing really has changed except for the fact that it’s just prettier to look at,” said John Nogawski, president of CBS Paramount Domestic Television, in a recent conference call with reporters. “Right down to placement of stars, it is being resimulated to be exactly what was there in the first place.”

http://www.wired.com/news/wireservice/0,71798-0.html?tw=rss.index

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 17 September 2006 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

You know, Star Trek came out right as I joined the service, so I never saw it except in re-runs.

But (and this only applies to the original series for me), if I stumble onto it, I will watch the rest of the episode, regardless of how many times I have seen it.

There is something magical about that show, it was a great mix of soap opera and human drama and science-fiction.

Not unlike ‘Star Wars’.

A digital re-mix, with cooler special effects, and (assumedly) a booming sound-track will be great!

I will Tivo every episode and watch every one!  Make my wife watch them, too!

Dan, who is dimly aware that using his Tivo and zapping through the commercials is essentially unethical and ultimately self-defeating, because it deprives the advertisers of their contact with me (that they paid dearly for) and thus topples the food-chain, to its own detriment.  But I will continue to do it!  Sorry!  However, if aired on a channel I have to pay for, like HBO, I will happily pay, so there!

Posted: 17 September 2006 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2006-07-04

God, they better not. I get up at around 5 A.M. sometimes and watch reruns till 3 P.M. on G4. It makes you feel really good. Plus, with new special effects, it’ll look a whole lot less cool. I always love when they shoot the rocks with their phasers to heat them up. Lucas’ll take the magic away. Plus, Walter Koenig will probably ask to have the whole Russian accent thing dubbed out. I’ll never give up ‘wessels’.

Signature 

And so often, we do not struggle to improve conditions,
We struggle for the right to say, “We improved conditions.”
-Thursday.

Posted: 17 September 2006 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Hmmmm. . .well, the old versions will still be available on DVD and cassette for those who want them.  Many people who grew up with the old less-advanced special effects will doubtless want to keep watching those versions, since those are the ones that they grew up with and have the sort of corny nostalgic appeal.  For today’s youngsters, though, there’s no reason why they shouldn’t have the choice of watching a more flashy version.

No matter what they do, though, they probably won’t be able to disguise any better the cardboard walls, rubber masks, and foam boulders.  So all that good stuff should still be there!

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 17 September 2006 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16

Didn’t vote because I don’t really care.  While I’ve seen most of the movies and have watched the different series here and there I’ve never been a huge (and consistent viewing) fan of it.  It doesn’t matter to me one way or the other.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 18 September 2006 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08
Dan Jr. - 17 September 2006 06:27 PM

You know, Star Trek came out right as I joined the service, so I never saw it except in re-runs.

But (and this only applies to the original series for me), if I stumble onto it, I will watch the rest of the episode, regardless of how many times I have seen it.

There is something magical about that show, it was a great mix of soap opera and human drama and science-fiction.

Not unlike ‘Star Wars’.

A digital re-mix, with cooler special effects, and (assumedly) a booming sound-track will be great!

I will Tivo every episode and watch every one!  Make my wife watch them, too!

Dan, who is dimly aware that using his Tivo and zapping through the commercials is essentially unethical and ultimately self-defeating, because it deprives the advertisers of their contact with me (that they paid dearly for) and thus topples the food-chain, to its own detriment.  But I will continue to do it!  Sorry!  However, if aired on a channel I have to pay for, like HBO, I will happily pay, so there!

If you hadn’t mentioned that you went into the service when this came out - I’d think you were my husband.  shut eye

He DVRs all the episodes he can find.  He’s very unhappy that in order to get the G4 station, he’d have to buy a sports package (that he wouldn’t watch).  I’m safe from the 12 hour runs of it for now.  For now.  long face

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 18 September 2006 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3174
Joined  2005-05-19

Am I the only one thinking “WHAT’s THE POINT”? How far will T.V producers go to get viewers? What next? A re-vamped version of Great Expectations with “New” special effects.

*Wanders off to drown kittens*

Signature 

“Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 18 September 2006 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  421
Joined  2006-05-29

Poor Maegan.  long face

Sci-fi marathons: Blood for the geek, Bane for the girl.

(Unless of course, you’re one of the female geeks of myth cheese )

Signature 

-Paranoid amnesiac: I keep forgetting they’re after me-
Vanquished Illusions and Desire wear Techno-Organic Wings

Posted: 18 September 2006 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

I’ve never seen an episode of star trek…

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 18 September 2006 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

As a female geek, I opted for the “I

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 24 September 2006 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2005-06-25

Star Trek was cheesy.  I liked the tribbles when I was a kid tho.

Signature 

This is my signiture