35 of 40
{/paginate}
Funny or odd names.
Posted: 01 March 2009 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 375 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

The actor playing the little boy in 28 Weeks Later is called Mackintosh Muggleton.
Best. Name. Ever!
LOL

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 01 March 2009 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 376 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01

My dad told me that a guy at work was told by his coworkers - as an April Fool’s Day joke - that he had to call back a man named Hugh Jasshole (say that aloud). According to my dad, the guy didn’t pick up on the joke at first. He called back the number he was given and said “I’d like to speak with Hugh please… Hugh Jasshole.” Then he realized what he was saying, laughed, and hung up.

My brother’s running for student treasurer and to become a nominee, he had to get a certain number of signatures from other students. One of the students he knew put down the signature “Jack Meoff”.

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 01 March 2009 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 377 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

The register in tutorials at Uni are fair game for false names.

Chris Peacock is a good one because it’s plausible enough that the tutor never gets it. But say it out loud. The students piss themselves at it.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 01 March 2009 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 378 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23
DavePrime - 01 March 2009 02:56 PM
Renquist - 28 February 2009 06:58 PM
eovti - 26 February 2009 08:02 AM

The character “Pussy Galore” from the movie Goldfinger was played by an actress with an even sillier name: Honor Blackman.

That’s not really a silly name.

It is if you accidentally drop the “L”.... LOL

Honour Backman.

How’s that silly?

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 01 March 2009 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 379 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9093
Joined  2008-03-02
Renquist - 02 March 2009 01:37 AM
DavePrime - 01 March 2009 02:56 PM
Renquist - 28 February 2009 06:58 PM
eovti - 26 February 2009 08:02 AM

The character “Pussy Galore” from the movie Goldfinger was played by an actress with an even sillier name: Honor Blackman.

That’s not really a silly name.

It is if you accidentally drop the “L”.... LOL

Honour Backman.

How’s that silly?

Because it sounds kind of like “on her back, man”...

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 29 March 2009 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 380 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/26/2527346.htm

Smellies, Balls on way out in UK name drain

The number of people in Britain with surnames like Cockshott, Balls, Death and Shufflebottom has declined by up to 75 per cent in the last century.

A study found the number of people with the name Cock shrank to 785 last year from 3,211 in 1881, those called Balls fell to 1,299 from 2,904 and the number of Deaths were reduced to 605 from 1,133.

People named Smellie decreased by 70 per cent, Dafts by 51 per cent, Gotobeds by 42 per cent, Shufflebottoms by 40 per cent, and Cockshotts by 34 per cent, said Richard Webber, visiting professor of geography at King’s College in London.

“If you find the [absolute] number goes down, it’s either because they changed their names or they emigrated,” Professor Webber, author of the study, said.

He said that in many cases, people probably changed their surnames as they came to be regarded as in bad taste.

“It’s because the meaning of words can change. Take the name Daft - that as a term for a stupid is a relatively recent innovation.”

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, Daft meant “mild” or “meek” in Old English, whereas it means “foolish” today.

“That’s why there are names which people think aren’t really very pleasant names and you wonder why they persisted as long as they did.”

Professor Webber, whose work can be seen on the website mapyourname.com, got his data for 2008 from credit card firm Experian and mapping service Geowise. He then compared it with the census of 1881.

Webber also discovered that the most popular names in Britain have not changed over the past 127 years.

Last year, Smith, Jones, Williams, Brown, Taylor and Davies held the top five spots, in exactly the same order as they did a century ago.

Professor Webber also found that between 1996 and 2008, the names Zhang, Wang, and Yang and experienced the fastest growth. Zhang rose by 4,719 per cent, while Wang grew by 2,225 per cent.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 29 March 2009 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 381 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17
Accipiter - 29 March 2009 06:13 PM

while Wang grew by 2,225 per cent.

*sniggers*

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 29 March 2009 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 382 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Bonnie Beaver, professor in the College of Veterinary Medicine at Texas A&M University.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 29 March 2009 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 383 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23
Madmouse - 29 March 2009 06:17 PM
Accipiter - 29 March 2009 06:13 PM

while Wang grew by 2,225 per cent.

*sniggers*

Tee hee hee…

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 02 April 2009 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 384 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01

Ohhh, just found one out.

There’s a voice actor (who’s voiced Squidward of Spongebob Squarepants among other roles). His name is Roger Bumpass.

I found this out because I’m trying to make a tribue site to the series Toxic Crusaders and he did an unspecified part in it. I looked him up because I wanted to be sure he was real and it wasn’t just someone on IMDb playing a joke.

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 07 June 2009 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 385 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26366
Joined  2004-11-29

Frog Stone.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

{paginate}
35 of 40
{/paginate}