1 of 40
Funny or odd names.
Posted: 12 September 2005 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

I’m putting this topic here, because I reckon it’s nearest to the theme.
Anybody culled any funny (and non-fictional) names from TV, books or films recently?
Or, even better, do you know anybody with a funny name?

I found ‘Googy Gress’ in the credits for ‘Charmed’.
Best name I’ve heard in ages.
grin

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 12 September 2005 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

People I’ve known:  English Rose Ivy; two dentists (they were partners) named Dr. Yankem & Dr. Pullem; Ffloyd Snodgrass; two technicians who worked for a lab equipment company, named Craig Chinchilla and Mike Elephante.

And I knew a Sgt. Slaughter and a Pvt. Parts, if you allow titles as well as actual names.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 12 September 2005 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

Nana Visitor from DS9…who the hell names their kid Nana?

A girl in the department next to mine is named Pippy Long.  (Sort of like Pippy Longstocking.)

I don’t really know anyone with a funny name.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 12 September 2005 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5071
Joined  2005-03-16

The mayor of my hometown at one point was named Peter Rabbit, and his brother had the name of another fairy tale rabbit, tho it escapes me at the moment.

My grandmother’s best friend was Rosy Bottoms.

Erik’s old dentist was named Dick Dick, which reminds me of a childhood friend’s father’s name: Richard Head. (how cruel!). I also know a guy whose name is Richard (Dick) Farmer.

I know of others but they’re escaping me. BTW, Acci, a friend of mine who was in the US air force also knew a Sgt. Slaughter.

Posted: 12 September 2005 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5801
Joined  2004-11-11

From the article:

“My all-time favorites are Abraham Thunderwolff and Freke Dorothy Fluck Lane,” she said.

Other discoveries included Boadicea Basher, Philadelphia Bunnyface, Faithful Cock, Susan Booze, Elizabeth Disco, Edward Evil, Fozzitt Bonds, Truth Bullock, Charity Chilly, Gentle Fudge, Obedience Ginger and Offspring Gurney.

Levi Jeans was married in Padstow, Cornwall, in 1797.

Other remarkable duos in the marriage records included Nicholas Bone and Priscilla Skin, joined in wedlock in 1636; Charles Swine and Jane Ham in 1711; John Mutton and Ann Veale in 1791, and Richard Dinner and Mary Cook in 1802.

Signature 

http://www.truovrld.blogspot.com

Posted: 12 September 2005 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5801
Joined  2004-11-11

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050912/ap_on_fe_st/britain_odd_names (the article)

I had a school police officer in Middle School named John Johnson. And there was a substitute teacher in High School named Sargent who happened to also be an ex-cop.

Signature 

http://www.truovrld.blogspot.com

Posted: 12 September 2005 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5071
Joined  2005-03-16

Just remembered, My third grade teacher was Miss. Carr, partway through the year she traded it in and became Mrs. Newhouse.

Posted: 12 September 2005 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26363
Joined  2004-11-29

I had a friend who’s younger brother was named Robert Roberts.  We’ve also got a client where the occasional typo can get us into a little trouble with her surname - Fuchs (pronouced Fox).

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 13 September 2005 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  620
Joined  2005-06-30

One poor boy I knew:

Dailey Kluck

(try saying it out loud)

and his dad?

Donald Kluck

Posted: 13 September 2005 04:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

And, of course, how could I forget Deputy Randy Hammock from World’s Wildest Police Chases?

And my gran’s maiden name was June Frost.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 13 September 2005 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  442
Joined  2005-04-05

My friends father is called Gerald Fitzgerald which I have always found pretty funny. A couple my parents know are called Paul and Pauline Pollock. My little cousin is named Robyn Reddy, only mildly amusing but quite a cute name I have always thought - her dad is a messer, I reckon he had always planned to use the Reddy name against his kids in naming them!
Not realy a funny one but kind of strange is a firend of mine whose surname is Lord, not uncommon, what is though is his birthdate- 25th December.
I used to work in a legal company where we would spend hours trawling through list of names, a few amusing ones I can remember are Humanne Staynrague (when you say it out loud it comes out as human stain rag….rough), Linda Legband adn my personal favourite Woodie Forrest who it turned out was a tree surgeon….the mind boggles.

Signature 

“Do you realise the sun doesnt go down, its just an illusion caused by the world spinning round”

Posted: 13 September 2005 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1298
Joined  2005-05-24

Stefan Kuntz - German footballer…
Tibor Selymes (pro. Sillymess) - Romanian footballer
Hernandez Itcheverre - Bolivian footballer

I’m sure there are more but they escape me for the moment..

Signature 

I drove my tractor through your haystack last night… Ooh Arr Ooh Arr.

“There’s been a terrible accident, your son has been injured… in fact he’s dead…” - ‘The Monkey’s Paw’ as told very badly by our friend Adrian

1 of 40

‹‹ Two Random Sex Jokes      Hair Removal 101 ››