Girl held in Dungeon for 8 years.
Posted: 25 August 2006 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

VIENNA, Austria (CNN)—DNA tests have confirmed the identity of a young Austrian woman believed to have been held captive in a basement “dungeon” and sexually assaulted over an eight-year period.

read more…. http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/08/25/austria.kidnap/index.html

Posted: 25 August 2006 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08

According to the BBC they haven’t actually determined if she was sexually assaulted.  In fact, they’re rather unsure of how she even escaped.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 25 August 2006 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

Being sexually assaulted would have been just one destructive factor, of more importance is that her childhood was stolen from her, that she was stolen from her parents, that she was confined in a small ‘cell’ for nearly a decade, denied an education, social interaction, access to fresh air,  and that under just these circumstances alone she was brainwashed or institutionalized (Stockholm Synd.) and the continuing years of her life will never be normal or routine. 

I cannot even imagine the first feelings of betrayal, hysteria, calling for her parents, calling for anyone to save her; and no one came.  Even is no sexual assault occurred, I doubt that would have been much more than icing on the cake of Hell under the circumstances.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 25 August 2006 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

Yep, a lot is unsure yet. It’s an amazing story. After she fled last wednesday, her 44 year old captor committed suicide by jumping in front of a train.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 25 August 2006 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08

I never said the rest of her ordeal was lessened by the fact that she may not have been sexually assaulted.  I simply stated that the actual situation is still in doubt.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 25 August 2006 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

Well, we all agree the situation she went through was horrible, no matter what.

It just simply defies me that people could actually do this sort of thing to other people, you know?

Dan the Mystified

Moved from new thread

In today’s paper, the girl who escaped from the dungeon gave an interview, and geez, this girl is sharp as can be!  Quite assertive, quite sure of herself, and not one to be maneuvered into saying anything she doesn’t absolutely mean to say.

Link

Dan the Observer