1 of 3
Prediction
Posted: 23 August 2006 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

Well, this is like predicting that California will have an earthquake soon, or that Tom Cruise will do something weird, but:

I bet that oil tankers and pipelines throughout the world will soon become targets of sabotage and terrorist activity.  Imagine the chaos when only half the daily supply of petroleum is available!

Dan the Fearless Predictor

Posted: 23 August 2006 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16

Thanks, Dan.  We hadn’t thought of that one, but now that you’ve posted…

Err…

I mean…

Uhh…

*Runs away*

(Just kidding, of course)

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 23 August 2006 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  91
Joined  2005-08-03

What makes you think it hasn’t been tried regularly for decades? It has.

Signature 

I’m not an idiot. I just play one in a roleplaying game.

Posted: 24 August 2006 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2006-08-13

We had the same dicussion, me and my boyfriend, about this kinda thing after Katrina.  The idea that so many things are slip by us as potential targets.  One levy breaks and half a state gets wiped out.  It’s interesting when, like little points of light on a map, these things pop out at us.  There’s a rocket testing facility that overlooks the San Fernando Valley.  There’s a chemical/pharmaceutical company in Thousand Oaks right in the middle of 124,000 people.  I can drive to several places that could be used to wipe out a significant portion of southern California.  It’s depressing, actually.

Posted: 24 August 2006 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2006-03-07

Why be depressed - these things have been targeted for years by both foreign and domestic terrorists. Outside the US, in fact, attacks on oil and fuel pipelines are pretty common, especially in the Middle East.

The biggest mistake the US made after 9/11 was the government doing things to make it look like they were doing something. They required a major increase in nuclear plant security - they were already the most secure industrial facilities we had. Meanwhile, they ignored the more likely and more dangerous targets like chemical and petro plants, which had NO federal security requirements (they do now).

Wanna really disrupt the nation - how about blacking out the entire east coast? We’ve been through it a couple of times so we know what it’s like. Yet nothing has been done to really protect the electrical distribution system (including a single spot in the northeast at which you could black out about half the country!). Don’t even ask me about water treatment plants - most of which are unmanned for most of the day.

But the biggest mistake we make is worrying about what WE think are good terrorist targets. There are hundreds of nuclear plants around the world, some in some very unstable countries. None has ever been the target of a terrorist attack. On the other hand, how many malls and grocery stores have been attacked in the last 10 years, the last 5 years, heck - the last 5 days!

After 9/11 people around where I live were all worried about the two nuclear plants where I worked. But they had no problem going to the Monday night football game at the most storied NFL stadium in the country the week after the attacks. Now, which do you think is a better terrorist target? Attack a nuclear plant and probably get killed before I get past the fence - or bomb a football stadium and kill 80,000 people.

My point - if you’re going to spend all that time worrying, at least spend the time worrying about the right thing! smile

Posted: 24 August 2006 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

Where there are dense populations there are fertile grounds for attack.

Where there are commodities, resources or technologies that connect dense populations there lie fertile grounds for attack. 

Terrorists though, appear to like the element of surprise when they crash the party so I would look for the less obvious door.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 24 August 2006 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05
logic fan - 24 August 2006 06:01 PM

........The biggest mistake the US made after 9/11 was the government doing things to make it look like they were doing something.

Great line!  I agree completely.

Well, all these targets of opportunity that have not been hit.  So, three choices:  the terrorists are far less competent and motivated than we are led to believe, or these targets are actually expremely well-guarded, or these targets aren’t important to the terrorists.

I suppose there is a 4th, which I kind of doubt:  there are no terrorists.

Who really knows?

Dan, who doesn’t know

Posted: 25 August 2006 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2006-08-13

My point - if you

Posted: 25 August 2006 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17
Olivia - 25 August 2006 08:30 AM

.....  The point is, we don’t see the dangers around us.  We don’t see that it’s not about oil rigs, it’s about the fact that we have a lot of vulnerable chinks in the armour.

I think most of us don’t want to wear armour at all.  It gets heavy, you can’t breathe or move around in it and in short time it just plain stinks. 

That’s a shame though, because you’re right!

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 25 August 2006 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2006-03-07

We have chinks in the armor, but we also have to decide risk/benefit. We could end the risk of people hiding weapons and bombs in their clothing by making everyone go nude. If it saves just one life, won’t someone think of the children, etc….............

We could make every building a high security zone with car barriers, car bomb stand-off regulations (no parking with several hundred feet or yards), armed security guards, hands-on searches of everyone, etc.

We’ll never make the risk zero. Well, we could. Don’t want any more hijacked airplanes? Ban airplanes. Don’t want any bridges bombed, tear down all the bridges. Don’t want anymore convenience stores robbed? Ban convenience stores.

Or we can analyze the threats and take actions based on the most likely, most risky scenarios and take actions that reduce the threat to acceptable levels. But someone will always complain that we’re not doing enough. My question to them - how safe is safe enough?

Posted: 25 August 2006 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17
logic fan - 25 August 2006 02:48 PM

...... But someone will always complain that we’re not doing enough. My question to them - how safe is safe enough?

When humans are extinct

then there will be Peace On Earth

Signature 

Posted: 25 August 2006 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08

No there won’t.  Animals fight and make war on each other all the time.  Hell, even plants fight and kill each other.  So much for mindless platitudes.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

1 of 3