George Bush Doesn’t Like Black People
Posted: 06 September 2005 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08
David B. - 06 September 2005 12:14 PM
Maegan - 06 September 2005 11:44 AM

I do think the local gov’t could have done more.  After all, it was there job to take care of it’s residents.  Federal gov’t help is the last resort.

At this point my thoughts are with the refugees. People who had neither insurance, transport nor money for hotels before the evacuation now have no money, home or job either. Many will have to rely on foreign and domestic charity for years to come. Many will have mental and physical health problems for the rest of their lives. Compared to this, ranting over who edited what post comes over as the whinings of a preening, self-absorbed c***; grow up people!

https://give.redcross.org/

Please do not think these people had nothing.  I have taken literally hundreds of claims from people who needed to file claims for MULTIPLE vehicles left in their driveways during the storm.  How did they get out?  By helicopter or boat.  BEFORE the water began to rise they made a conscious decision to remain home.  For what reasons, I’m sure they’ll all have something to proclaim, “I’ve been here for 50 years, I don’t have anywhere to go, If it’s my time to go, so be it!”  I know the cost of gas was high, but with 4 or 5 vehicles parked in the front of your home, I’m sure a syphon could have been rigged to put a few gallons in ONE of the vehicles to take the refugees at least out of the area.  Worrying about where they would live AFTER they were out of harms way.

I have been through quite a few TERRIBLE, BAD storms.  That city KNEW the levys wouldn’t hold, and KNEW they needed to do something to repair them, or replace them.  The people in the city were told about the city’s limitations.  The people had about 2 days to decide to leave, and in the end - did NOT.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 06 September 2005 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

I hate to say it, but I do believe that the relief efforts were not as fast because the majority of the population were somewhat poor, and black, and generally, a poor black person will be worst off then a poor white person..I do remember watching something years back about how a picture of a starving white child in America will recieve a larger response then a starving black child in America…thats pretty sad.

We got to the Tsunami victims quicker, and thats in another country!  But also keep in mind that if all the people were poor white trash, the same thing would have happened that is going on now. “They” do not want to spend Billions of dollars on poor people in this country because they probably think it is a waste of money due to opinions that poor people can contribute nothing to this country.

Posted: 06 September 2005 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05
Maegan - 06 September 2005 12:41 PM

Please do not think these people had nothing.  I have taken literally hundreds of claims from people who needed to file claims for MULTIPLE vehicles left in their driveways during the storm.

If you are dealing with these people claims, then they are presumeably able afford insurance. Ergo, these are not the people I am talking about. If you think this is a representative sample of the Katrina victims, you are misinformed. I have been watching the American news channels and websites alongside the UK ones, much as I did after 9/11, and there is a palpable difference in attitude from the spokesmen and women, the pundits, the anchors and the interviewees. The sympathy was tempered, the concern had a more economic focus, individuals were more overlooked or sidelined (especially in comparison to the UK press).

So maybe Kayne West was right and George Bush doesn’t care about black people. Neither, apparently, does most of America.

Posted: 06 September 2005 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

I dabbled in life insurance for a while a few years back….Just to let you know, black people have insurance out the ass….they love it….poor or not, the older people LOVE insurance to help their children in the long run….

Posted: 06 September 2005 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

David, I think you’re making a lot of assumptions on the information that you’re receiving second hand. My company is smack in the middle of this. We had more than a dozen offices in the affected areas in Metairie, Houma, Chalmette, Mandeville, Harvey, New Orleans, Gulfport, and Batesville.

There are black and white people that have been affected by this. I am seeing photos of white and black Americans on television, as well as talking to them on the telephone. The local gov’t should have been more prepared to deal with a disaster. They knew their city was underwater, and aside from a few repairs every now and again, did nothing to fortify the levee. This was not a racial issue, this was a gov’t issue.

Yes, these people are poor. This city has one of the highest crime and murder rates in the whole country. The majority of the population in the city are black. Therefore, the majority of people having a problem, ARE BLACK. Their race has nothing to do with the type of help being provided (or not provided).

News stations were able to send reporters into the area within hours, why weren’t they helping people instead? FEMA and other aid agencies needed to get trucks filled with supplies, drivers, GAS, before being able to make their way. Not to mention that you couldn’t even get INTO N.O. by anything other than air or water. If you didn’t have a plane or a boat, you were stranded in, or kept out of N.O.

This country seems to fall back on the race issues whenever it’s convenient. Or whenever someone is to blame, it’s someone else’s fault, b/c race must have played a part.

Let’s not forget that Kanye West boo-hoo’d about not getting an AMA for Best New Artist, and included it in one of his songs.

It is a tragedy that anyone has to suffer such a devastating storm as Katrina. Reasoning that the starvation of Americans was caused because of racial division is disgusting.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 06 September 2005 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2005-01-30

While I am sure that many made a conscious decision to stay, many could not leave. It is admittedly an emotional matter for me as I have spent the past few days working at the Astrodome and seeing the very human face of this tragedy. Many people I have talked to were waiting for federal aid checks. One women even begged the man she rented furniture from for $20 so she could get as far from the storm as that would take her and her family. I don’t think these people understood how bad it would be. I wonder had the storm come a few days later and people had money they would be able to leave if we would be seeing this loss of life. Not to mention that New Orleans had no plan in effect to evacuate those who were unable to leave. Yeah in the coast you always get the people who won’t evacuate and I am sure they are quick to file insurance. But the people I have seen and dealt with cannot even begin to think about insurance they have lost their homes, livelihoods, and often loved ones. Honestly I have not heard very many people at all banking on their insurance most of them say things like I have lost everything. It just seems odd to say that insurance money is enough to make the loss of everything okay.

Posted: 06 September 2005 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  2005-06-15

http://www.snopes.com/photos/katrina/looters.asp
heres another one pertaining to the issue of race and hurricanes.

Signature 

“This is the last time you’ll whack your Willy in school again!”

Posted: 07 September 2005 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9365
Joined  2005-01-23

I just think some people were so dumb. One lady interviewed in a newspaper before the hurricane said ‘I’m not leaving my home. If we can put up with mardigras we can put up with one little storm’. This was just blatant stupidity. I feel so sorry for the people who couldn’t leave but for those who could, and chose not to, then they have to live with the consequences of their actions.

Signature 

The Middleman: (drinking milk) You know, that was some darn fine cow squirt.

Posted: 07 September 2005 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7682
Joined  2005-06-05

a few quick facts from the 2000 census (a little old but its the most recent one i could find, i am sure it is still relevant however)

percentage of New Orleans residents who checked “white” 28.1%

percentage of New Orleans residents who checked “black or African American” 67.3%

ok, so the vast majority of New Orleans residents are “black or African American”...right?

maybe i am wrong about this but it seems, using the numbers above as a reference, that the vast majority of those affected in New Orleans would be “black or African American”

I am by no means defending my countries slow almost haphazard response to this disaster but if you actually think that the cause was race, I feel sorry for you..not as sorry as I feel for those poor souls in ALL regions affected by Katrina however.

just my two cents….

Signature 

FOLLANSBEE, WV; Having been alerted to the coming apocalypse at a recent church service, 6-year-old Julie Strand decided she needed to live for today and immediately stuck a peanut M & M up her left nostril.

Posted: 07 September 2005 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08
girlgraves - 07 September 2005 12:06 AM

It just seems odd to say that insurance money is enough to make the loss of everything okay.

I didn’t say it makes it okay.  I was trying to show that people had the MEANS to leave.  Four vehicles (with some vehicles newer than 2000) parked in the driveway, while water rises.  Now, maybe it’s just because I live in Florida, and my grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, and cousins can all recount at least one Hurricane that destroyed their town.  (Whether or not it was as high caliber as Katrina is not relevant here.  If the winds were 200 mph, or 120 mph, losing everything is LOSING EVERYTHING).  So, I take precautions.  Every year when it comes around for hurricane season, I go buy a few packages of batteries to refresh our supply…I make sure that our map is legible.  I keep an eye out for local flyers that indicate which shelters I should go to if there is an evacuation for my area, or if the evacuation zones have changed since last year.  I also take some cash and put it in an envelope in my filing cabinet (where I would grab birth certificates and insurance docs before I had to evacuate)...so that I have SOMETHING if I need to leave.  I might buy a case of water b/c that will keep for a while, but anytime an actual hurricane is impending, my family and I try to fill everything we own with water - for just in case.

If a hurricane was actually impending, my husband and I fill up our vehicles.  If we couldn’t afford it, or we’d spent our little envelope of cash already, we would syphon gas from one tank to the other…I actually have a syphon kit in a roadside emergency kit that I keep in my car.  I would do everything in my power to be sure I got my baby out of the area if it seemed that serious.  Last year when the flood waters finally crested, and most of my town was under about 30 feet of water, I was still dry (I knew I would be).  I was staying with my parents, b/c they have a brick home (I rent a trailer a few acres away from them), and the direction of the wind meant that an area of the house with no windows would get blasted first.  I couldn’t leave my street for about 2 days, b/c of the water.  Sure, I could leave by boat, but how would I get to work once I crossed the water?

The people calling me are crying that they have lost everything.  They don’t know what to do, all they know is that they have their vehicle insured, and they want to get a rental vehicle to take their family some place to start over.  This is the first thing they are usually able to do.  A lot of people are calling from stranger’s cell phones (rescue crews lending phones)...or they are able to give me every phone # of every person in their family, so that we can reach them no matter what.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 07 September 2005 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

I was trying to show that people had the MEANS to leave.  Four vehicles (with some vehicles newer than 2000) parked in the driveway, while water rises.

Percentage of African-American households without a vehicle: 24.1%
Percentage of same when household income below $15,000: 46.5%
(source: FHWA, Department of Transportation)

Sure they did, Maegan, sure they did…

2 of 6