1 of 6
George Bush Doesn’t Like Black People
Posted: 04 September 2005 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  2005-06-15

anyone else see this? i think its quite amazing.

http://english.ohmynews.com/articleview/article_view.asp?no=246286&rel_no=1

Attention:  If you are re-visiting this thread, and were previously unable to view the link, the article appears below:

On an NBC benefit concert for Hurricane Katrina victims aired live on Friday night, rapper Kanye West vocalized his criticisms on the relief efforts and on President George W. Bush.

The rapper was paired with comedic actor Mike Myers. Myers read what was scripted for him beforehand and then handed it off to West, who clearly did not read what was scripted. Overwhelmed with emotion and speaking between heavy breaths, West began airing out his dissatisfaction with the aid efforts.

“I hate the way they portray us in the media. If you see a black family, it says they’re looting. See a white family, it says they’re looking for food.” (This is a reference to a pair of AP photos with opposite captions for a black victim treading through water with a bag and a white victim doing the same.)

After crediting the Red Cross with doing all they could to help the victims, West added that the national guard are “given permission to go down and shoot us.”

Myers, visibly surprised by West’s unscripted remarks, continued on before pausing to allow West to close out their segment. West abruptly said, “George Bush doesn’t care about black people.” After a few seconds of awkward silence, West began saying “Please call—” before the camera cut away to a shocked and speechless Chris Tucker.

As surprising as West’s unscripted remarks were, his comments do reveal an ugly underside to the Hurricane Katrina relief efforts that society may not have wanted to deal with.

Many believe that the government and other organizations have not responded as quickly or as effectively as it seems the situation warranted. Chaos and virtual anarchy ensued in New Orleans for almost four days before effective relief was finally granted.

Though West’s remark about President Bush’s disregard for blacks may not have much substance, it does open a door that many people have probably tried to keep shut. The race card is finally out in the open for all to see.

On newscasts it’s obvious that the vast majority of the victims in New Orleans are black. If a category 4 hurricane had hit a wealthy white city, it’s an open question whether relief would have taken so long to arrive.

West’s brash remarks have allowed a huge, looming issue to rise to the surface of an already cluttered and obscure issue. Hopefully, after all is said and done, the truth of this situation may lead to discussions and resolution, and expose the prejudices that lie in individual hearts of some narrow-minded Americans.

Signature 

“This is the last time you’ll whack your Willy in school again!”

Posted: 04 September 2005 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

Well, as much criticism as this situation is getting for it’s lack of help, it’s not like there was a lot of choice.  To organize the transport of food and water for the number of people that are homeless is a massive task.  If a small truckload of water had arrived, there would have been more than just anarchy.  There would have been riots and violence.  Imagine fighting off thousands of people so that you can have a single bottle of water.  Besides, George Bush isn’t labeling the images, the media is.

They needed to wait until they could help EVERYONE before attempting to send someone in.  There is no local government anymore.  The local officials LEFT when they knew a storm was headed in that direction.  Other people stayed.  And it sounds like, from the info I’m getting from victims reporting their claims, they it wasn’t a lack of transportation that kept them from going!  Now that the storm is over, the officials that moved to safety, can now come back in and continue helping and working, without worrying that their own family is safe.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 04 September 2005 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

what do you think you are doing, editng my posts??? you have absolutely NO RIGHT to do so.

Signature 

Posted: 04 September 2005 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  620
Joined  2005-06-30
RAMONESxMANIA - 04 September 2005 06:09 PM

what do you think you are doing, editng my posts??? you have absolutely NO RIGHT to do so.

Well, Ramones, it really depends on what you wrote. If it was something Racist, Sexist, X-rated, or rude in an uninformed manner, Maegan has every right to do so, especially since she is a moderator. However, if she were to remove something, say, just to be mean or to make you look stupid, that would be infringing upon your rights as a web user. Because I trust Maegan’s judgement, I suspect it was the former case.

Posted: 05 September 2005 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05
Maegan - 04 September 2005 01:03 PM

They needed to wait until they could help EVERYONE before attempting to send someone in.

While I partially agree, I am still of the opinion that far too little was being done, and for far too long. The first relief paramedics arrived at the Superdome on the 6th day after the hurricane, when one chinook full of PMs, their kits and a few burly minders on day one could have saved many lives.

A limited resource (like water) might be more trouble than no resource, but a limited service (like paramedicine) is always better than none. This disaster has not shown America in a very good light.

Posted: 05 September 2005 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

no! nothing “bad”, rude, or anything wrong was said. she just edited one of my posts and stuck it into the other one and deleted something i said. which wouldnt be a big deal, excpet that it WASNT a big deal, and i did nothing wrong.

Signature 

Posted: 05 September 2005 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-30
RAMONESxMANIA - 05 September 2005 06:28 PM

no! nothing “bad”, rude, or anything wrong was said. she just edited one of my posts and stuck it into the other one and deleted something i said. which wouldnt be a big deal, excpet that it WASNT a big deal, and i did nothing wrong.

wait, wait, wait… let me get this straight: you had 2 posts. Maegan stuck them together and edited them? is that correct?

what did she delete?

Posted: 05 September 2005 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

it was just one little line…i dont even remember it.  but its not the action, its the principle behind the action.

Signature 

Posted: 05 September 2005 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-30
RAMONESxMANIA - 06 September 2005 12:54 AM

...i dont even remember it.

uh-huh. smirk Maegan, what do you have to say about this?

Posted: 06 September 2005 02:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Umm. . .at the risk of actually bringing this discussion back to the original topic, I haven’t a clue what this thread is about.  I can’t seem to open the link to the article, and none of the following comments does much to clarify matters.  I’m assuming it has something to do with the hurricane relief efforts.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 06 September 2005 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I do think the local gov’t could have done more.  After all, it was there job to take care of it’s residents.  Federal gov’t help is the last resort.

Also, on the “edited post” issue:  The original post asks, anyone else seen this?  Since there was no link, my next post was, is there a link?  The following post was simply a link and HAPPY?  It made sense to me to move the link into the first post, and since the link was in the first post, the 3rd post was not needed.  I also edited my OWN post to reflect this new change.  I AM a moderator, and was simply making a decision to make the thread easier to follow.  I have updated the posts again, to include the text of the link, since Acci mentioned not being able to see it.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 06 September 2005 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05
Maegan - 06 September 2005 11:44 AM

I do think the local gov’t could have done more.  After all, it was there job to take care of it’s residents.  Federal gov’t help is the last resort.

Certainly local government has to shoulder some of the blame, but federal help isn’t just a last resort. FEMA exists to “respond to, plan for, recover from and mitigate against disasters. [...] As it has for more than 20 years, FEMA’s mission remains: to lead America to prepare for, prevent, respond to and recover from disasters with a vision of “A Nation Prepared.”” (from FEMA’s website).

A fairly concise summary of the failings can be found on the BBC website at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4216508.stm I’ll .say up front that I’m no fan of GWB, but I think the article is pretty much “fair and balanced”, as the BBC say.

At this point my thoughts are with the refugees. People who had neither insurance, transport nor money for hotels before the evacuation now have no money, home or job either. Many will have to rely on foreign and domestic charity for years to come. Many will have mental and physical health problems for the rest of their lives. Compared to this, ranting over who edited what post comes over as the whinings of a preening, self-absorbed c***; grow up people!

https://give.redcross.org/

1 of 6