1 of 2
Flatliners for real?
Posted: 31 August 2005 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2005-08-30

http://www.ndexp.com/

I came across a link to the above site on an atheist forum. I couldn’t find any reference to it on MoH, so I thought I’d post it here - apologies if it’s already on somewhere.

I haven’t any proof that this indeed IS a hoax or anything… While I’m all in favour of experimentation to find out more about all areas of life, I’m not going to be rushing to participate in this thing!

Posted: 31 August 2005 01:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

An “overwhelmingly positive, transformative experience”?  Not the times it’s happened to me!!!  Then it was more along the lines of “Ouch!  Ouch!  Aaaargh!  Owwww! [blankness for a bit] Ouch!  Aaaaargh!”  Maybe when it’s done to you peacefully and quietly and voluntarily in a bed it’s a different matter.  Knowing that you’re just going under for a little bit, and then they’ll revive you might put a happier mood on things.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 31 August 2005 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9365
Joined  2005-01-23

Acci, you really have me wondering at times. You hint and tease about your past, but I’ve never been on when you’ve given away any actual information about it. Just how many times have you come close to death?

Signature 

The Middleman: (drinking milk) You know, that was some darn fine cow squirt.

Posted: 31 August 2005 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

Although the NDExperiment has been Greg’s pet project for many years now, in a brutally honest admission, he indicated that he hasn’t quite had the courage to move it forward from the drawing board stage saying"Who wants to be regarded as “that” frootloop that wants to kill himself?”

Hmm…

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 31 August 2005 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  442
Joined  2005-04-05

Hahaha, well considering he would be dead would it really matter if people thought of him as a fruitloop

Signature 

“Do you realise the sun doesnt go down, its just an illusion caused by the world spinning round”

Posted: 31 August 2005 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08

Flatlining a patient purposely, then reviving them has been done for years in open heart surgery.  I’ve never understood why this is considered such a monumental event.  Granted it’s not undertaken lightly and the risks are very great, but it’s hardly rare.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 31 August 2005 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I guess the point is, that this isn’t surgery.  It’s for no medical purpose that I can see.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 31 August 2005 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I’ve been clinically dead at least twice.  Once was after the van I was a passenger in suddenly became temporarily airborne after winning a battle of wills with a mountain road’s guard rail, and once after I was dashing across a concrete runway and a 155-mm. shell landed about two feet in front of me (which in a way turned out to be a good thing, now that I think on it, since that’s how I ended up meeting the nurse who I eventually married).  In neither case did I see lights at the end of tunnels, or look down on my own body, or hear a heavenly choir, any of that stuff that you always hear about.  Like I said, maybe it’s different when you’re intentionally letting yourself be peacefully semi-euthanised.  Or maybe not.  I don’t feel like finding out directly any time soon.  As for how many times I’ve “come close to death” (whatever you mean exactly by that), I’d rather not think too hard on that unless I spook myself and spend the rest of my life hiding under my bed.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 01 September 2005 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

That entire site is fake…........It has the obvious signs…......His team includes him and a dog, and he isn’t even a doctor…..It will take several years until you will under go it….and it is illegal….even though they might be able to be brought back….it is attempted murder…..or helping assist in attempted suicide.

Posted: 23 May 2007 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-05-23

X - 01 September 2005 04:22 PM

That entire site is fake…........It has the obvious signs…......His team includes him and a dog, and he isn’t even a doctor…..It will take several years until you will under go it….and it is illegal….even though they might be able to be brought back….it is attempted murder…..or helping assist in attempted suicide.

Hiyall!!

Just came across this, as a couple of people have recently used the above link, old as it is, to refer to the NDEXP homepage.

Just to set the record straight, I can tell you that the neither the site, nor the experiment are fake. The NDEXP, will be conducted but, unfortunately it will take somewhere near $US 1 Million dollars to achieve it and appropriate ethics approval.

As far as “X” and his obvious signs that the site is a fake…

His team includes him and a dog
Well, the dog is real, and I didn’t see that there was any harm in attempting to inject a bit of humour into things somewhere.

he isn’t even a doctor
Yes, I’m not a doctor, but I’m not entirely sure how that relates to anything. Doctors can be hired, and so can the rest of the medical team required (hence the bill). Its like saying that neither of the Wright Brothers were pilots, therefore they couldn’t have flown a plane. In any case, I have some experience management, which is likely to be more relevant to many aspects of putting something like this together, than a medical degree.

It will take several years until you will under go it
Yes, several years before the project can be conducted. Unless of course anyone here has the appropriate money, in which case I could put an ethics submission before my university within days.

and it is illegal….even though they might be able to be brought back….it is attempted murder…..or helping assist in attempted suicide

Without knowing what jurisdiction “X” is living in I couldn’t comment on the legality of the NDEXP where he resides. In Australia, however, it there is no issue with the legality of the project. Research involving humans is strictly regulated and requires ethics approval from an appropriately consisted ethics committee. Ethics committees are required to take certain things into account, and none of these precludes an experiment like the NDEXP from taking place. In fact, the biggest obsticle will be simply dealing with the modern cultural aversion to anything to do with death, and the scientific-cultural aversion to do with anything to do with the paranormal.

With respect to it being either illegal, or assisted suicide, I have already discussed these issues with the Victorian Police, after the a religious group complained that the NDEXP was precisely these. They disagreed, both on the basis of the ethics guidelines and the fact that the procedure is used regularly in medicine and that the purpose of the experiment is to revive the participants, not to kill them

I hope this helps clarify the status of the NDEXP and to reassure people that it is not a hoax!

Greg Kasarik

Posted: 24 May 2007 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

Very interesting, and plausible, too, at least to my trusting soul.

(Oh, Hi, Acci!  Glad to see you here!)

As kids, we used to jump up and down 20 times, then stand up and quickly put our hand over our noses and mouth and blow out real hard, with friends standing behind to catch you.

It was cool, I remember once looking down at my limp body from about 15 feet up, then quickly ‘falling’ back down to it.

I would try it again, except from what I understand, it can induce a seizure.

Imagine the possibilities if one could do it at will!  Off to The White House to listen to ‘secret’ meetings, free concerts with the best seating, and of course, watching Paris Hilton shower, which I would probably do first, before going to them boring secret White House meetings.

Dan, always thinking about Paris Hilton.  She needs me, you know?

Posted: 24 May 2007 03:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Good tip for Tim.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

1 of 2