1 of 2
new spelling
Posted: 07 July 2006 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2005-04-22

Push for simpler spelling

When “say,” “they” and “weigh” rhyme, but “bomb,” “comb” and “tomb” don’t, wuudn’t it maek mor sens to spel wurdz the wae thae sound?

Those in favor of simplified spelling say children would learn faster and illiteracy rates would drop. Opponents say a new system would make spelling even more confusing.

Eether wae, the consept has yet to capcher th publix imajinaeshun.

Posted: 07 July 2006 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9365
Joined  2005-01-23

Gah, how frustrating is it to read the ‘simpler’ spelling in that document??? I think I’ll just stick to the traditional way of spelling, plus I’ll even throw in some extra ‘u’s just to annoy the Merkins! Favour, colour! He he!

Signature 

The Middleman: (drinking milk) You know, that was some darn fine cow squirt.

Posted: 07 July 2006 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  827
Joined  2005-10-20

Ah she is so right, plus what would happen if you had an accent, hmm? then the whole dictionary would change

I vote in my no for you right now

Signature 

Real Eyes Realize Real Lies.

Posted: 07 July 2006 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  371
Joined  2004-04-20

A couple of decades ago there was an effort to print books with ‘rational’ spelling. One of the books was a children’s book: Dhe Litl Red Hen.

Image Attachments
newspelling.jpg

Posted: 07 July 2006 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08

With the way people spell online, I don’t doubt this will become fairly commonplace in the future.  We’ve all seen those people post who seem to have dropped out of school in the second grade.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 07 July 2006 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  421
Joined  2006-05-29

Even though there are only a few languages with a truly standardized pronunciation and spelling (dutch), most nations can come up with a kind of agreement to teach in classes. (For French, it’s the “Parisian” version, maintained by a bunch of old guys)
Something that becomes increasingly difficult to keep consistent within nations or languages spanning large geographic areas or with too much cultural differences.

English has the added problem that about half the words are French and most English-speaking areas of the world have developed their way of speaking independent from england for hundreds of years. (Try understanding an old Texan when you’ve been taught British English confused ).

But this is “speaking”, not reading or writing. With people speaking different dialects (or a different language), their common ground for communications is often the written word. With recognizable mental images when reading words. And rather strict rules for combining words into sentences.

Change is only natural in a language (and indeed necessary for its spelling to keep up). But to do as these people to so drastically change it overnight, to their own way of speaking, might cause a lot of problems (e.g. different MoH sites for British and Americans gulp ). And all just for making spelling bees easier.

Signature 

-Paranoid amnesiac: I keep forgetting they’re after me-
Vanquished Illusions and Desire wear Techno-Organic Wings

Posted: 07 July 2006 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  169
Joined  2005-09-23

Having worked in the sign industry, I can only imagine what street signs and the ilk would look like. *Shivers* And all the books would have to be rewritten! “Hippoh Eetz Dwarf” “The Wizzard ov Oz” “Gon With Thee Wind” Oh, my head hurts!!

Posted: 07 July 2006 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

Frost is right the spoken is often different that the written.  In Chinese I think there is one written language but several different dialects spoken, some of these not understandable to the other.  The English spelling of words did not become standard until the 1700’s with Webster (of dictionary fame) actually putting forth the effort to collect words.

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 07 July 2006 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  827
Joined  2005-10-20
I am an ex associate - 08 July 2006 12:39 AM

Frost is right the spoken is often different that the written.  In Chinese I think there is one written language but several different dialects spoken, some of these not understandable to the other.  The English spelling of words did not become standard until the 1700’s with Webster (of dictionary fame) actually putting forth the effort to collect words.

it’s true! look at the liberty bell, Pennsylvania is spelled wrong because Webster wasn’t born yet

Signature 

Real Eyes Realize Real Lies.

Posted: 08 July 2006 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

Those in favor of simplified spelling say children would learn faster and illiteracy rates would drop

This is so true!!!!  And when you drop the poverty line from $15,000 per year to $6,000 per year, there are less poor people!!!!!

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 08 July 2006 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2006-06-10

I could agree with standardizing the spelling of certain words so that words written alike sound alike, and words that sound alike are spelled alike.  But despite being a neat idea, “fonetic speling” just doesn’t seem to be the way to go about that.

As for ever simplifying english spelling, we’ll adopt it right after we convert to the metric system.

Signature 

“Don’t blame me, blame technology”—Dr. John Kaiser-Roll

Posted: 08 July 2006 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

lol bebe, too true.

hmm. theres no way this would work with accents and stuff. but who am I to argue?
I found the thing quite hard to read, and had to say some words out loud before I understood.

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

1 of 2