1 of 2
Favorite Authors
Posted: 11 June 2006 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

Okay, a couple I really love:

Elmore Leanord (Get Shorty,  Jackie Brown, Be Cool, and a milliion others)

He writes about small-time crooks and con-men and low-lifes.

Martin Cruz Smith   (Gorky Park)  His recurring character is Arkady Renko, a Moscow homicide inspector, his research into the daily routine life in Moscow is fascinating.  Arkady, who has travelled to New York, etc:  “Only in Russia would one find used light-bulbs for sale.”

Also, a great book of his set in 19th-Century coal-mining England:  ‘Rose’  more great background on life of a coal-miner at that time

Dan the Great Critical Reader and Frustrated English Lit Major

Posted: 11 June 2006 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-03-30

Anthony Burgess, Albert Camus, Leonard Cohen, William S. Burroughs.

All equally fantastic.

Posted: 11 June 2006 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

Jared Diamone, Stepehn King, Diana Gabaladon, Robert Jordan, Wilkie Collins.  And anything else that’s good.  I read all the time

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 11 June 2006 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2005-06-25

Dan Brown and Bill Amend.

Signature 

This is my signiture

Posted: 12 June 2006 01:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26363
Joined  2004-11-29

Favourite author is about as hard to pick as favourite book.  Although I am a fan of Terry Pratchett (Discworld series), Lindsay Davis (Falco mysteries), Kerry Greenwood (Phryne Fisher mysteries and Delphic Women series), Anne Bishop (Black Jewels trilogy and Tir Alainn trilogy), Garth Nix (Old Kingdom series) and Kate Elliot (Crown of Stars series) to name a few.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 12 June 2006 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Hmmm. . .there’s this guy named Steve Alten, who wrote a book about Loch Ness. . .I’m sure it’s really popular among all the Scots here.

As for my favourite author, I don’t really have a “favourite”.  It all depends on what I feel like reading at the time.  If you want to go by authors that I have the most books by, then that would include James White, Ellis Peters, Bernard Cornwell, Alan Dean Foster, C. S. Forester, Alistair MacLean, H. P. Lovecraft, Ray Bradbury, Agatha Christie, Ren

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 12 June 2006 03:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23
Accipiter - 12 June 2006 06:02 AM

Hmmm. . .there’s this guy named Steve Alten, who wrote a book about Loch Ness. . .I’m sure it’s really popular among all the Scots here.

As for my favourite author, I don’t really have a “favourite”.  It all depends on what I feel like reading at the time.  If you want to go by authors that I have the most books by, then that would include James White, Ellis Peters, Bernard Cornwell, Alan Dean Foster, C. S. Forester, Alistair MacLean, H. P. Lovecraft, Ray Bradbury, Agatha Christie, Ren

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 12 June 2006 03:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

E. E. Doc Smith is good fun indeed, but it’s nearly impossible to find most of his books any more.  I’ll have to smuggle a digital scanner into the Library of Congress one of these days, I think.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 12 June 2006 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Agatha Christie
Tom Holt
Terry Pratchett
Ray Bradbury
Peter Mayle
Ruth Rendall
Robin Hobb
Douglas Adams
Poppy Z. Brite

And countless others.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 12 June 2006 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05
Accipiter - 12 June 2006 07:17 AM

E. E. Doc Smith is good fun indeed, but it’s nearly impossible to find most of his books any more.  I’ll have to smuggle a digital scanner into the Library of Congress one of these days, I think.

Try ABEBooks, they have every ‘Doc’ Smith book going, most for a couple of $s.

Mind you, now that I’ve posted that fact, hoards of MoH lurkers will descend like locusts upon the site and snap up every book going… I wonder if I can get commission?

Posted: 12 June 2006 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-06-12

I really adore:
Milan Kundera
Henrich Hesse
G.G.Markes
D.G.Lawrence

Signature 

Phone verification services by Phone confirm.

Posted: 12 June 2006 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06
Accipiter - 12 June 2006 06:02 AM

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

1 of 2

‹‹ The Movie, ’CARS’      Futurama ››