1 of 3
Pregnant Mare Urine
Posted: 29 August 2005 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

So, last night I was watching T.V. with the husband, and a commercial for the prescription drug Premarin comes on.  He says, “Hey, that’s made with PREgnant MARe urINe.  PRE-MAR-IN.”  He heard it on the radio.  So, after rolling my eyes, I tell him it’s an urban myth.  How would the company keep enough prego horses in order to harvest urine.  HOW DO YOU HARVEST URINE.

I just can’t think that it’s real. 

I found this:
http://www.projectcensored.org/publications/2003/23.html
http://www.friendsofanimals.org/programs/horses/pmu.html <-possible pics, but it just looks like tubing stretched around some horses.  It does ACTUALLY show collection.

Just search “Pregnant Mare Urine” in a google search, and you get lots of relevant hits.  Although, they seem real enough, I just can’t think how it’s probable.  I can’t see how they’d be able to gather enough urine from horses to make thousands or millions of pills.  If this is the # 3 menopausal drug, I’d think you’d need a lot of it.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 29 August 2005 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  442
Joined  2005-04-05

Well pregnant women DO pee ALOT, because of all the pressure on their bladders…maybe it’s the same for horses!

Signature 

“Do you realise the sun doesnt go down, its just an illusion caused by the world spinning round”

Posted: 29 August 2005 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  91
Joined  2005-08-03

It’s quite real. For many years, urine from pregnant mares was the only commercial source of estrogen. My father did some contracting work for a guy in Nebraska who made an absolute fortune collecting it.

Signature 

I’m not an idiot. I just play one in a roleplaying game.

Posted: 29 August 2005 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

It’s just, something about the name and the collection, that just doesn’t seem like it would work.

I mean, lipstick is made from fishscales, but it’s not called lipscales.  Some perfumes are made with whale baleen, but we don’t refer to the as parfume de whale.  So…PRE MAR IN…

Is it Premarin in particular that is actually using it, or is that just a coincidence?

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 29 August 2005 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Here’s a site that has a bit about the production of Premarin:  http://www.premarin.org/.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 29 August 2005 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  2005-06-15

my friend wrote a paper about premarin. i guess its kind of sad. they lock as many mares as possible in a barn and limit the amount of water they drink so as much estrogen as possible is in the urine.

Signature 

“This is the last time you’ll whack your Willy in school again!”

Posted: 29 August 2005 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2005-08-04

>=( That’s disgusting, I will never ever buy those things even if my life depended on it. That’s just too cruel, locking them up and doing things like that to them? Just terrible, and shameful.

Posted: 29 August 2005 11:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18

http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/premarin.htm
huh… how about that.  Maybe the name of the drug is just an unfortunate coincidence?  Doesn’t seem like it, though.

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

Posted: 30 August 2005 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

I think the name then, is just coincidence.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 31 August 2005 04:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1194
Joined  2005-02-22

#1 - Have you ever seen a horse urinate? There’s plenty there when they do!!!

#2 - The horses’ gestation period is even longer than ours (11 months) so from each animal there’s lots of time to collect.

#3 - I would seriously hold in doubt any “rumors” about the mistreatment of animals in the process. Any company in todays’ world would be wary of practices considered unethical due to the possible economic backlash, at least here in the US. PETA and other groups like them do have lots of influence here in this country and I would bet that any “horror stories” you hear about this medicene and the collection of it’s contents are merely embellishments made by “activists” for the cause.

hmmm

Signature 

Canadian Bacon Rules !!!

Posted: 31 August 2005 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

Something I read also said that all these horses end up being shipped to Europe and Asia for food.  I mean, I know people DO eat horsemeat, but is it SO popular that someone is making a market out of this?? 

Any Europeans and Asians wanna comment?

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 31 August 2005 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11
Yushi - 29 August 2005 11:44 PM

>=( That’s disgusting, I will never ever buy those things even if my life depended on it. That’s just too cruel, locking them up and doing things like that to them? Just terrible, and shameful.

Its kinda like battery hens. they keep the chickens in horrible conditions (I buy free range instead), so as to save space and money buying fields and stuff for the animals

heres a really biased link to battery farming http://www.animal-lib.org.au/lists/hens/hens.shtml but i dont think it’s really as bad as that. Of course, im not a chicken…

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

1 of 3