3 of 4
Favorite TV Shows
Posted: 06 June 2006 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

Why not just get a multi-region DVD player? Then you’d have a whole world of programmes to watch?

Posted: 06 June 2006 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  154
Joined  2006-01-27
David B. - 06 June 2006 04:32 PM

Why not just get a multi-region DVD player? Then you’d have a whole world of programmes to watch?

I heard they are quite expensive. I can usually get all the repertoire movies I want to see from this little speciality video store close to where I live, so it really has never been a problem before.

For La Linea though, I might reconsider. Man I loved that show!

Signature 

Whether I will grow up to be the hero of my own life, I do not know.

Posted: 07 June 2006 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2336
Joined  2005-11-02
StarLizard - 06 June 2006 04:34 PM
David B. - 06 June 2006 04:32 PM

I heard they are quite expensive. I can usually get all the repertoire movies I want to see from this little speciality video store close to where I live, so it really has never been a problem before.

For La Linea though, I might reconsider. Man I loved that show!

Over here in the UK alot of the cheapest DVD players are multi region

Signature 

The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible.
Oscar Wilde

http://www.destinedtofall.co.uk

Posted: 07 June 2006 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05

I notice that Amazon (US) doesn’t sell any multi-region DVD players, while Amazon (UK) almost sells nothing but. That’s the DMCA for you!

BTW, I’m looking forward to the World Cup, it’s a great chance to watch The World at War, the Lord of the Rings trilogy and some Miyazaki DVDs with out missing anything worthwhile on TV.

Posted: 09 June 2006 02:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  154
Joined  2006-03-12

We have an Apex brand DVD player that we got at a computer trade show for about 40 dollars (US).  It works well, and you can go on the web and burn a disc that will effectively unlock the zoning on the device.

I remember when I worked in the AV lab at college for work study, we got in a shipment of tapes that I had to sit and watch to make sure they all worked.  We had accidentally gotten some european format (not sure which one.. just know they werent the one we use here) and you can actually watch them on our players… VHS at least.. if you can stomach the wigglies.. its like watching a broken tape really.

Thats one job I dont miss at all… even though it was easy… sitting on my butt and watching documentary after documentary….

Posted: 09 June 2006 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05

surprised
I haven’t seen a VHS player that wasn’t NTSC/PAL/SECAM in over a decade, as prices fell it rapidly became uneconomic to maintain separate product lines so they all sorta merged. Are you sure it wasn’t that your NTSC TV couldn’t handle the PAL signal?

Posted: 09 June 2006 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17
Mort - 06 June 2006 10:35 AM

CSI cause i’m a geek at heart, Doctor Who (prefer classic Doc who), Prison Break, Lost, Top Gear (tesosterone), Scrubs, Simpsons, South Park (Just saw the one with Christopher Reeve and the Stem Cells, OMG I wet myself laughing), Like David B alot of nature type stuff as Attenborough is one of my all time heroes, Oz used to rock (where did it go?), Bones (!!! cheesy as hell but entertaining!) Most documentorys on the History Channel. Oh and Scrapheap Challange was quite cool.

What i’ll be watching for the next 2 weeks solidly? THE WORLD CUP!!! (Right up until I fly to Germany on the 24th that is when i’ll be there in the flesh!) GO ENGLAND!

Apart from football and Scrubs, I watch pretty much everything on your list. I’m not so fond of Top Gear, but Chris is so I often end up watching it anyway. I also like Casualty, ER, Invasion and My Name Is Earl.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 10 June 2006 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2006-06-10

Mmm, TV shows.  Number one pick would be The Red Green Show.  It’s in its last season here in the US.  Too bad, ‘cause it’s better than it has been in years.  “I know patio tables are supposed to be used for stuff like entertaining your neighbors, but I’d rather use it for something fun - windsurfing.”

I watch Forensic Files type shows a lot.  But not CSI.  To clear any confusion - Forensic Files are documentaries, CSI is a ficticious drama loosely based on forensics.  Not that facts are required for good fiction - Who’d mark down Winnie the Pooh ‘cause Winnie would’ve eaten Christopher and been done with it?  But then I know people who think Forrest Gump and Blair Witch were documentaries.

Finally, I never miss Ag PHD.  It’s on RFD-TV, “Rural America’s most important network!”  It’s very well done and informative, and it’s great seeing the nerdy Hefty brothers discussing macho-man farming stuff.  Plus, the budget is close to zero, and they seem to get a kick out of doing it.

Signature 

“Don’t blame me, blame technology”—Dr. John Kaiser-Roll

Posted: 10 June 2006 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
David B. - 09 June 2006 09:42 AM

surprised
I haven’t seen a VHS player that wasn’t NTSC/PAL/SECAM in over a decade. . .

And of course, colleges and other schools are renowned for always having nothing but the most up-to-date equipment. . .

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 12 June 2006 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05

Well it’s been about 20 years since I was in college, but there we had PAL, NTSC, about half a dozen film-formats and a digital frame store. Mind you, this was the Biology department, so you couldn’t expect too much!

Posted: 12 June 2006 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

Great News!

The first three seasons of   “Dukes Of Hazard’ are now available on DVD!

Dan the Sarcastic

3 of 4