Tapeworms ≠ Weight Loss
Posted: 01 February 2014 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26363
Joined  2004-11-29

Medical journalist ingests tapeworms, and found that he put on weight.

A medical journalist says he put on 9.5kg after ingesting tapeworms, dispelling a belief the parasites cause weight loss.

“The parasites were for many years thought to be a weight-loss aid to past generations, with Victorian women swallowing their eggs to get thinner,” Press Association reported.

TV presenter Michael Mosley, who had the tapeworms in his gut for six weeks, attributes the weight gain to his need to increase his food intake.

“I was keeping a food diary to see if my food preferences changed,” he said.

“I think I probably ate a bit more chocolate.

“Tapeworms like beer and chocolate - they like carbohydrates.

“My weight, if anything, went up a bit.”

“One of the theories is that the tapeworm probably encourages you to eat more. You feed it.”

The trained doctor’s experience as a human guinea pig was recorded for his documentary Michael Mosley: Infested!

“Mosley tracked down the tapeworm at an abattoir in Nairobi in Kenya and te cysts from the tongue of an infected cow, cutting away the meat surrounding them to avoid any infection,” PA reported.

“In order to be sure of a good hit rate for the worms he ate three cysts, all of which developed into worms.

“Six weeks after swallowing the cysts, the activities of the worms were monitored in his guts by a camera he swallowed, allowing him to see what was going on by looking at his iPad.”

Mosley said that in the past, Victorian ladies swallowed tapeworm eggs in the hope that it would help them lose weight.

“But this was actually a fallacy because the eggs are not infectious to human beings - they are only really infectious to cattle,” he said.

Producer Nathan Williams said BBC policies allowed Mosley to consume the tapeworm because it could not be passed between humans.

The parasites in Mosley’s body were killed with medication, but there had been no evidence the worms had been expelled from his body.

“Nothing came out,” he said.

“There are two possibilities: the most likely possibility is that the pills killed the worms and my body digested the tapeworms, which is an ironic end - parasite gets eaten by its host, which is most likely.

“The second possibility is they are still there, but since it is about 13 weeks since I swallowed the cysts, I think I would have noticed by now.”

Urgh…the things some people do in the name of science.

Linky

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 03 February 2014 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

People have done worse things to their own bodies for science… but yeah, that’s ranking up there. Ew.

Hopefully, this will eliminte the concept of using them in the future, as it seems every now and then, the story comes back up…

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 03 February 2014 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2005-10-26

From my thread a while ago.
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/forums/viewthread/15569/

So, are there different breeds of tapeworm? Seems like some of them promote thin/unhealthy appearance.
Perhaps they affect you more if you are already malnourished.
And when you buy ‘them’ online, are you just buying hoax-ish eggs, or are you buying wriggling live worms? This guy went to some lengths to get a live one.(that presumably he couldnt just order off the internet)

Posted: 04 February 2014 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

He is one of my favourite TV presenters. I’ve seen him presenting whilst inhaling laughing gas, dropping belladonna into his eyes (an old beauty trick) and skewer his hand whilst it was anaesthetised.

Posted: 06 February 2014 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

Yep I remember that earlier ‘conversation’. 

Who knows though, maybe science will come up with food that’ll keep us all thin.  They’ve already produced crops from modified genes to stop pests from corrupting it….perhaps maybe a sugar pill will just eat up calories instead of adding them.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 06 February 2014 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2007-03-14

Then again a bit of exercise and common sense should do the job too.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 07 February 2014 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

If ‘food’ was rationed the way it was during WWII, obesity would go right down the toilet (literally).

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 09 February 2014 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15

I managed to lose 4 kilograms (about 8.82 pounds) since I joined a walking group as well as refraining from eating fish and chips.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 09 February 2014 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2007-03-14

Well done Peter.  Keep that up and you can look forward to losing more.  Do you have a goal in mind?

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 16 February 2014 01:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15
gray - 09 February 2014 07:53 PM

Well done Peter.  Keep that up and you can look forward to losing more.  Do you have a goal in mind?

Thanks. Since my last post in this thread I’ve lost another kilogram. I’m now 106 kilograms and I believe my healthy weight range is 67 to 84 kilograms. So it looks like I need to lose at least another 22 kilograms.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.