1 of 1
{/paginate}
Moral dilemma…
Posted: 10 January 2014 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Imagine: Obama comes to Europe for a state visit. Some people have some whatever grudge against the US (take your pick).
Lot´s of adoo in the streets etc.

Are protesters yelling “OBAMA GO HOME!” racist?

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 10 January 2014 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5529
Joined  2007-03-14

I would think the protests would be more political in nature rather than racist.  I don’t see “Obama go home” as being racist in any manner.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 10 January 2014 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

You´re Canadian…
ofcourse you don´t

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 10 January 2014 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

I mean, you start with “I would think”

Signature 

Trust me.

Posted: 11 January 2014 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5529
Joined  2007-03-14

No matter how I look at it I can’t see it as being racist.  People used to do the same to Bush when he traveled.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 11 January 2014 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

It would clearly depend on the motives for booing him.

Is it because of his domestic or foreign policies? Then it has nothing to do with racism.

Is it because of his ethnicity (in terms of him being an African-American)? Then it is racist.

Is it simply because he is an American, de-coupled from the policies he stands for as a Head-of-State? Then it is xenophobic/nationalist/racist.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}