{/paginate}
Awesome dad 3-D printed a prosthetic hand for his son
Posted: 07 November 2013 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

with a $10 (materials) price tag.

3-D printers are one of the coolest pieces of technology available. Part of what makes them so cool is how easily they can improve someone’s life. Paul McCarthy was looking for an inexpensive but functional prosthetic hand for his son Leon. Leon was born without fingers on his left hand. Paul found a video online about a prosthetic hand that anyone could make with a 3-D printer, based on a design by Washington state inventor Ivan Owen. Now Leon proudly calls himself a cyborg as he shows off his functioning robotic hand. The coolest part: It didn’t even cost that much. After spending around $2000 on the printer, materials only cost about $10 — much less than the tens of thousands a prosthesis would cost.

Video

*sends Santa a nice note for christmas, not for new parts, but for a 3Dprinter*

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 08 November 2013 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5530
Joined  2007-03-14

I saw a place around here that is selling 3d printers but they sure aren’t that cheap.  I think the best price I saw on one was about $6500. 

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 10 November 2013 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

ehmmmm…

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 10 November 2013 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5530
Joined  2007-03-14

Go figure Deal Extreme would have them.  However I’ve got some experience with stuff from there as one of the guys in the shop buys from them all the time.  The vast majority of the stuff is your typical Chinese knockoff quality stuff which lasts thru the first few uses then mysteriously fails.  I’m not sure I would trust that unit although it’s a tempting thought to try it.  Then again I’m not sure that unit could print out a functioning robotic prosthetic.

I guess the guys around here are either marking up the prices a whole lot or they are selling more advanced units.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 12 November 2013 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2009-06-04

I love this 3D printing stuff. I can’t wait until more people have them and everything comes down in price. If the market drives them they will get much better pretty quickly and we’ll see some really amazing stuff I’m sure.

Posted: 13 November 2013 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2005-10-26
gray - 10 November 2013 08:11 PM

Go figure Deal Extreme would have them.  However I’ve got some experience with stuff from there as one of the guys in the shop buys from them all the time.  The vast majority of the stuff is your typical Chinese knockoff quality stuff which lasts thru the first few uses then mysteriously fails.  I’m not sure I would trust that unit although it’s a tempting thought to try it.

I was thinking when I first saw this comment that DX was actually selling prosthetic hands. That would blow me away, as that site does stock a weird assortment of stuff.

I’ve bought a lot from them, and my problem is their feedback. They heavily filter comments. Unless you write ‘5 Star, everything A++++’  they wont include it. Even when I gave a battery charger high marks, but had the comment ‘The cutoff voltage was not where I expected’, it got canned. So for big items, there’s a big risk that others have commented its a piece of junk, but they have deleted it so you cant get that info.

Posted: 26 November 2013 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

I love their engrish when they respond to email.

Signature 

Trust me.

Posted: 02 December 2013 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

So Unfairly, did you respond in Chinese?

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 07 December 2013 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

In random numbers from the menu.

Signature 

Trust me.

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}