April Fools’ Day PRANKS (defined)
Posted: 02 November 2013 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2005-11-09

Alex’s mentioning April Fools’ Day reminded me that, when I’d recently been watching YouTube Hallowe’en videos, which led me to April Fools vids, I’d been struck by something which sure surprised me.  I guess this would be the best place for me to comment on it.
Half of the “April Fools” videos simply showed people startling each other.  Do today’s video-making young adults really believe that startling someone & making them jump qualifies as an April Fools joke?  Is there something wrong about how our kids are being raised today?  (These weren’t videos simply suggested to me by YouTube because their search function responded poorly.  These were videos posted & titled as involving “April Fools” pranks.)  Is jumping out of one’s hiding place the equivalent of a hoax to everyone but me?

Posted: 03 November 2013 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9078
Joined  2008-03-02

First of all, welcome to the forum, Hal! smile

Second, that’s an interesting question. As a kid, April Fool’s pranks/jokes were generally harmless, and more along the lines of “school was cancelled today,” and then yelling “April Fool” once the other person had started to believe the line. Alternatively, kids might try to scare each other. Seems as if people haven’t grown out of that mentality, taking the easy, “kid’s stuff” route rather than trying to come up with a more complicated hoax.

ETA: Whoops, I didn’t realize that you’ve actually been here longer than I have! I guess I should say welcome back from lurkdom, instead. smile

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 04 November 2013 04:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

Eh… it’s a problem with language. When somehing does not have hard, defined edges, it tends to get conflated with other, similar concepts.

I recall reading a book on practical jokes which defined a practical joke as something the victim will laugh at and enjoy as much as the one pulling it, as different from a prank or even a cruel trick, in which there may well be some hurt feelings.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?