{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}
Battle Chess!
Posted: 30 July 2013 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2005-10-26

i need a new chess partner, as my games obviously arent exciting enough. Chess would be super cool if games ended with robots armed with flashbangs and teargas every time.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021422709_bellevuestandoffxml.html

Chess game ends in long standoff with Bellevue cops

A chess match between neighbors turned into an eight-hour police standoff after a Bellevue man pulled a gun on his opponent early Thursday morning, police said.

Police said the man ultimately surrendered peacefully and was taken into custody on investigation of assault shortly after 10 a.m.

According to Bellevue police spokeswoman Carla Iafrate, officers were called to the Bellefield Manor Apartments at 1830 108th Ave. S.E. around 2 a.m.

Police said a man had invited his neighbor over to play chess and have a few drinks when, for reasons yet unknown Thursday afternoon, the man pulled a gun and threatened the neighbor.

The neighbor ran out of the building and called 911, police said.

Because the man was known to have at least one weapon, and possible access to others, police evacuated neighbors and closed several streets, including some of the city’s major transportation arteries.

The closures caused lengthy delays for morning commuters, police said.

Police attempted to talk the man into surrendering and also used a robot equipped with a camera, flash bangs and tear gas, according to The Associated Press.

The man finally surrendered by waving a white flag out his window.

Posted: 01 August 2013 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Wow.. that’s clearly a bit much…

But yeah, some sort of chess set with destructable figures would be nifty. ThinkGeek has a set of Speed Chess ice molds… finish the game before your pieces melt. Maybe some sort of… Ooh! I know!

There’s ‘Bubber’, which is this amazingly nifty kid’s clay stuff. It’s soft and squishy, but when you let it sit for a moment, it hardens until you apply pressure again. Having pieces you could dramatically crush in your hands ‘as a warning to the others’ would be awesome.

Then of course, there’s the old classic video game Battle Chess. That was just prescripted animations for captures, though. If you want an actual combat-style chess-like game, there’s the even older game, Archon.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 02 August 2013 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5529
Joined  2007-03-14

Must have been one serious game of chess.  I know some people are prone to tantrums when they lose but pulling a gun?  I’m guessing that he left his queen unguarded and it got captured.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 02 August 2013 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26366
Joined  2004-11-29

And then there’s always chess boxing.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 05 August 2013 03:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank