Have ‘Americans’ over-reacted to deaths, injuries in Boston?
Posted: 21 April 2013 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

The article tries to focus on the visit to Russia:
http://news.yahoo.com/boston-bombing-suspect-kept-low-profile-dagestan-144528581.html

MAKHACHKALA, Russia (Reuters) - If Tamerlan Tsarnaev was already plotting the Boston Marathon bombings when he stayed in this bustling Russian city at the heart of an Islamist insurgency last year, neighbors say he hid it well.

“Americans think they are some kind of ‘super people’, like their lives are more important than others’; They’re the world’s police. We have enough of our own problems to worry about it.”

Insurgents from the North Caucasus have carried out attacks outside the region - including on Moscow’s subway and at the main international airport of Domodedovo, where 37 people were killed in a bombing in January 2011 - but not on U.S. soil.

Many people in the region have long focused their ire on Moscow and Kremlin-backed local leaders, not on the United States, although there are clear signs of irritation in the region about some American attitudes.

“They blew up three people in the United States and people are up in arms. When they (Americans) kill 150, 200 people in Afghanistan, Iraq - why do they react differently?” asked Vagib Devletkhanov, 24, a soldier in the Russian army.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 22 April 2013 04:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

As a prominant Russian once said: “One death is a tragedy. A million is a statistic.” - Joseph Stalin

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 22 April 2013 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15

One should not negate the other. Americans have every right to be outraged by what happened in Boston. And imagine the good that can be achieved by showing more compassion to people in other countries.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 22 April 2013 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

I echo Peter’s comment. You Americans indeed have every right to be shocked and outraged: what happened in Boston was a true tragedy and a true injustice.

At the same time, the Russian guy does have a point: large numbers of innocent civilians have died as collateral damage of US actions, notably in drone strikes.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134