Cheating scandal at Harvard
Posted: 25 March 2013 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2005-06-15

Story here.

Harvard stripped of quiz titles amid cheating scandal

NEW YORK: Harvard University has been stripped of a string of US quiz championship titles after a cheating scandal was uncovered by organisers.

A competitor from America’s most prestigious university was found to have accessed a website that listed questions that were to be asked in the National Academic Quiz Tournament.

For three successive years, Andy Watkins, a member of Harvard’s “A” team, viewed pages that displayed the first 40 characters of forthcoming questions, tournament officials said.

Mr Watkins, who graduated in 2011, had access to the tournament database because he wrote questions for a schools quiz competition, as well as competing in the national university-age contest.

Championships awarded to the Ivy League college, based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 2009 and 2010, and two titles from 2011, were revoked and handed to the runners-up.

Organisers said that while they had “neither direct nor statistical evidence” Harvard had directly benefited from the security breach, “it goes against competitors’ expectations of fair play”.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 25 March 2013 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5529
Joined  2007-03-14

Go figure.  I guess they really wanted to win.  Even with only the first 40 characters you could extrapolate and come up with a fair idea of what the question was about.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 26 March 2013 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

You know, I always am bewildered with the way people cheat, stead and plan schemes that would NEVER even enter my brain…..........in part I think because the ‘agenda’ doesn’t either.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}