{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}
STOP!  I am SICK of these kinds of images victimizing everyone! 
Posted: 13 March 2013 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I am SO sick and tired of getting images on FaceBook that play on the minds of people seeing them much in the way chain letters did, still do, and now through e-mail and social media.  So I pulled a couple that continue to glare in my news feed over and over and over again as people continue to repost.  They are designed to wrest popularity and thousands of comments from people who are being victimized.  So this morning I pulled two out and reposted with a different message:

STOP circulating these images! They are akin to chain mail and work by inflaming and manipulating guilt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_letter

Apparently the ONLY way I can protest and stop people from exploiting imagery is by posting it YET again like this. STOP giving these online images ANY credence. IF any of these individuals, including the pup are victims, the only way we can help them is to have property information, names, places, URLs or ways to report abuse or neglect or to give assistance. Without that, you become a victim too.

[Maybe Alex can find the origination of these images !!!!!]

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 13 March 2013 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

My wording on the image is the larger to the right side of the first image (under the image is the wording that is attached to it; and on the left side with the pup with the attached wording above mine that accompanies that image.  I do NOT want mine shared though because that just further instigates in another direction. 

Alex, if you are reading this, can you please find out if possible where these images are coming from?  There is no way to report abuse or anything else to FB since the perps have somehow protected getting to the root.  Dave and I DID report one site that is just chucked full of these and so did I and I know one other person at least but I believe it is still viable and posting.  The problem arises when real friends are taken in by this and I don’t want to report them just because they were gullible.  There has to be a way to find the original postings.

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 13 March 2013 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9095
Joined  2008-03-02

Is there any way to report them as spam or offensive to Facebook?  Normally when stuff like that shows up, if you hover your cursor in the upper right-hand corner, an X appears, along with an options menu.  One of those should be to report it as offensive.  If you click on the report option, a dialog box appears with a few options for why you’re reporting them. 

If those options don’t show up, the other thing you can do is send an email to FB (not that I think those actually do much good, but it can’t hurt) with the name of the page and possibly a link to the pictures, explaining why you’re reporting them, and why they’re offensive.  Other than that, I don’t have any ideas.  I think I blocked those pages, since I don’t get any through my feed any more, at least not from them.  If other images like that show up, I just block them from my feed.

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 13 March 2013 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Three of us did that including Dave.  What happens is that when people ‘repost’ or ‘share’ then their own FaceBook page is violated too.  I’d eventually have to unfriend everyone.  I have reported and reported. 

One of my most keen concerns is that people, some young children, are being victimized by these and innocently repost, comment, etc.  I can hide them from my own feed, but that doesn’t help others.  I’ve reported one page two times.  This is really the only safe venue here on the Museum of Hoaxes and honestly, I’d really like Alex to see if he can hunt any of this down and they could be proved as illicit hoaxes.

Signature 

Posted: 13 March 2013 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9095
Joined  2008-03-02

The thing about hiding it from your feed is that then no one looking at your feed can see it, which slows the spread of those things.  If more people did that, then it would be harder for them to be seen.

I almost always ignore the “Share if you like/love/aren’t ashamed/hate/etc. whatever” pictures.  I refuse to be guilted into passing things on.  I might occasionally pass on cute animal ones, though. smile

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 14 March 2013 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Now I’m confused.  I thought my ‘feed’ was different than anyone else’s since everyone’s group of friends differs.  The only thing static for me would be my own ‘home’ page.  If someone deliberately posted something directly to me on my individual page then maybe it would be hidden from folks who went to my page so that would be the same as deleting it. 

When I talk about my news feed though, I’m talking about the ‘home’ page which is the news feed from everyone I have friended along with pages I’ve ‘liked’.  Are you saying that on that page, if I press ‘hidden’ there it’s also hidden on everyone else’s main feed page too?

Signature 

Posted: 14 March 2013 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Okay, hiding ‘stuff’ is sort of like pretending it isn’t there or hiding from it so I have decided to just ‘attack’.  I made my own image adding coments:

If you cannot read the image: When you post an image of an injured, maimed, dying, dead, deformed person/animal, provide all links, including media, individual or family name and link, how to REALLY help etc. Using a photo of any person without direct access to assist them personally and directly OR without their permission is a criminal offence

Using words such as those below are inflammatory, incite rage, manipulative and are meant ONLY to garnish popularity to the poster while victimizing the reader AND the real abused. True caring should go directly to the individual’s page or family’s page and if those links do not appear, you are being as used as the personal/animal is being further victimized:

DON’T IGNORE
Needs your prayers
1 like = 1 prayer
1 share = 2 prayers
1 comment = 3 prayers
Ignore = you don’t care
Would you kill those bastards?
ANY WORDS or suggestions along these lines are deliberate ploys to USE you by inciting rage, or extreme distress unless they come directly from the family or harmed individuals.
STOP circulating these images! They are akin to chain mail and work by inflaming and manipulating guilt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_letter
Chain letter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org

In addition, people who post like this are really CYBER BULLIES!

Signature 

Posted: 15 March 2013 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

Passive aggresive BS. There are some blogs about these stupid FB posts.

http://passiveaggressivestatus.tumblr.com/

http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinlarosa/the-26-funniest-responses-to-passive-aggressive-notes

Posted: 15 March 2013 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Mr. R, at least these are amusing, even IF they just clog up the news-feed toilet.  Most people don’t want to read ‘words’ either unless they’re in pictorial form which is why, after pleading and pleading, I finally put mine in images too as well as with words.  What I didn’t know until both Erik and a couple other friends told me is this:

1.  Images, even on FB can have viruses embedded (I was shown the methods used)

2.  Once you ‘like’, ‘comment’ or ‘share’ any of these, the distributor now can follow you about.

Another friend explained that eventually some of these ‘sympathy-guilt’ driven images may start asking for donations that will probably never go to the maimed, dying etc., but directly to their own bank account which seems to tie in with our own Woohoo! I won a million Euros! thread!

Signature 

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}