1 of 1
{/paginate}
California’s Ban on Fees for School Supplies Causes Confusion
Posted: 05 March 2013 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9095
Joined  2008-03-02

A new state law banning public school fees has teachers scrambling for supplies, parents in a tizzy over suddenly unaffordable activities and PTAs confused about how to help families.

At Fairlands Elementary in Pleasanton, the fourth-grade visit to Mission San Juan Bautista was nearly canceled. At Oak Grove High in San Jose, math teacher Kim Schaupp printed paper protractors for her geometry students because she was told she couldn’t ask them to bring real ones to class. In Pleasant Hill, middle-school band trips are at risk.

With few exceptions, state law now prohibits schools from charging fees for classroom items and activities and from requiring students to bring materials needed for school. It covers everything from 25-cent pencils and $5 binders to $350 field trips and $500 football uniforms.

Story here.

I don’t get this, I really don’t.  The schools aren’t allowed to require students to pay for their own supplies, the PTA can’t tell poor people that they can help with costs of supplies or fees for extra-curricular activities because that would “single out” the poor people, and evidently parents are supposed to solicit donations if they need help with funds.

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 05 March 2013 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Yeah.. welcome to California.. we pass entirely too many of these ‘looks good on paper’ laws that turn out to be really, really awful in actual execution. Schools get the short end of the stick entirely too often.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}