Biblical Mark on the Forehead???
Posted: 07 February 2013 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

Hoping folks won’t take this as the literal ‘mark on the forehead’ from the Bible even while it is discomfiting:

Can you spot evil in an X-ray?

You can, at least according to a German scientist who claims an “evil patch” is visible in brain scans of criminals.

Dr. Gerhard Roth, a neurologist and professor at the University of Bremen, told London’s Daily Mail that he discovered a dark mass near the front of the brain in scans of people with criminal records.

“When you look at the brain scans of hardened criminals, there are almost always severe shortcomings in the lower forehead part of the brain,” Roth said. “There are cases where someone becomes criminal as a result of a tumor or an injury in that area, and after an operation to remove the tumor, that person was completely normal again.”

He added, “This is definitely the region of the brain where evil is formed and where it lurks.”

Roth is not alone in his belief that brain scans can reveal psychopathic tendencies.

Kent Kiehl, associate professor of psychology at the University of New Mexico, for one, used a mobile MRI unit to conduct brain scans on 2,000 prison inmates in Wisconsin and New Mexico.

Kiehl found similar patterns in their brain scans. “If you have different behavior, you’re going to have a different brain,” he said at a 2012 lecture at Duke University:

Kiehl noted the role of the MAOA gene in violent behavior. He said if one has the gene and comes from a stressful environment, he or she has a significantly elevated risk for committing a violent offense. The gene may contribute to variability in grey matter density in some parts of the brain, which is a risk factor for psychopathy.

“Psychopathy is currently considered the single best predictor of future behavior,” Kiehl said.

Roth agrees: “When I will look at young people, and I see there are developmental disorders in the lower forehead brain, I can say that there is a felon in the making with 66 percent probability.”

A growing number of psychologists “believe that psychopathy, like autism, is a distinct neurological condition—one that can be identified in children as young as 5,” the New York Times reported in May. “Crucial to this diagnosis are callous-unemotional traits, which most researchers now believe distinguish ‘fledgling psychopaths.’”

Not all psychologists believe such a diagnosis is possible, and even those that do admit they are uncomfortable with it.

“No one is comfortable labeling a 5-year-old a psychopath.” Mark Dadds, a psychologist at the University of New South Wales, told the Times. “[But] the research showing that this temperament exists and can be identified in young children is quite strong.”

Roth himself admits the research is not foolproof.

“Of course it is not automatic,” he told the Daily Mail. “The brain can compensate somewhat for violent tendencies, and it is unclear how that works.”

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/dark-patch-xray-killers-brain-scans-212141274.html

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 07 February 2013 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15

I’m sure somebody will. Can’t stop that from happening I’m afraid.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 07 February 2013 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08

“This is definitely the region of the brain where evil is formed and where it lurks.”

Yep, sounds like a perfectly objective researcher to me.  I’m sure his work is valid and completely free of any bias.  /sarcasm

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 07 February 2013 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

It’s interesting that two scientists/doctor(in this article)  indicate basically the same area of the brain being ‘different’, and since criminal activity often appears to be constructed by lack of ‘conscience’, I wanted to see if conscience is equated in the same area of the brain.  (evil and good are both thermometers of conscience or moral compass).

While religions identify areas of the body as being the soul or heart we continue to learn that these ‘magical’ philosophies are then explained rationally by science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscience

Common secular or scientific views regard the capacity for conscience as probably genetically determined, with its subject probably learned or imprinted (like language) as part of a culture.[4]

and also at the same link:

Neuroscience and artificial conscience

Numerous case studies of brain damage have shown that damage to areas of the brain (such as the anterior prefrontal cortex) results in the reduction or elimination of inhibitions, with a corresponding radical change in behaviour.[74] When the damage occurs to adults, they may still be able to perform moral reasoning; but when it occurs to children, they may never develop that ability.[75][76]

Attempts have been made by neuroscientists to locate the free will necessary for what is termed the ‘veto’ of conscience over unconscious mental processes (see Neuroscience of free will and Benjamin Libet) in a scientifically measurable awareness of an intention to carry out an act occurring 350–400 microseconds after the electrical discharge known as the ‘readiness potential.’[77][78][79]

Jacques Pitrat claims that some kind of artificial conscience is beneficial in artificial intelligence systems to improve their long-term performance and direct their introspective processing.[80]

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 08 February 2013 03:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

Ten bucks says if you gave this guy ten xrays of hardened criminals and ten of, say, girl scouts, he wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

Also, I seem to recall hearing that the ‘on the forehead’ is a fairly recent addition, with previous sources just saying ‘marked’.

“Hi, welcome to Hell! Drop your pants so I can paint your rear purple, please.”

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 08 February 2013 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15

I just had the thought that maybe in ancient times people did notice that whoever got hit badly in the front of the head sometimes had a certain change of character. Maybe it’s possible that’s where the idea of the “Biblical Mark on the Forehead” got it’s initial start from?

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 08 February 2013 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Peter, you may have hit the mark…......(lordy that sounds like a pun doesn’t it?)

Signature