{/paginate}
White House Rejects Death Star Petition
Posted: 11 January 2013 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16

White House: Thumbs down on Death Star, thumbs up on space

The White House says building a Death Star would be an out-of-this-galaxy waste of money — not only because it’s against government policy to blow up planets, but also because the United States already has access to a space station as well as a laser-wielding space robot.

Today’s official statement on the Death Star issue, titled “This Isn’t the Petition Response You’re Looking For,” was written by Paul Shawcross, chief of the science and space branch at the White House Office of Management and Budget. It comes in response to a “We the People” petition that called on the federal government to start building a “Star Wars”-style Death Star battle station by 2016.

“By focusing our defense resources into a space-superiority platform and weapon system such as a Death Star, the government can spur job creation in the fields of construction, engineering, space exploration, and more, and strengthen our national defense,” the petition read.

The petition garnered more than 25,000 online signatures within a month, partly due to a signing campaign that went viral on 4chan, Reddit and Twitter. Under the Obama administration’s rules for the “We the People” program, that required the White House to come up with a reply.

[Click the link to read the reply]

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 20 January 2013 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2009-06-04

From the actual petition WH site: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/response/isnt-petition-response-youre-looking

“The construction of the Death Star has been estimated to cost more than $850,000,000,000,000,000 We’re working hard to reduce the deficit, not expand it.”

And this is why you now need 100,000 signatures to be able to get an official response.

Posted: 20 January 2013 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17
wallarookiller - 20 January 2013 03:30 AM

From the actual petition WH site: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/response/isnt-petition-response-youre-looking

“The construction of the Death Star has been estimated to cost more than $850,000,000,000,000,000 We’re working hard to reduce the deficit, not expand it.”

And this is why you now need 100,000 signatures to be able to get an official response.

hmmmmm so, how much would each of those who signed the petition have to pay to get that constructed (since those were the ones who wanted it?

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 20 January 2013 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 20 January 2013 08:22 AM
wallarookiller - 20 January 2013 03:30 AM

hmmmmm so, how much would each of those who signed the petition have to pay to get that constructed (since those were the ones who wanted it?

If we divide that estimated cost (assuming it’s no more than that) by 100,000 people they would each only need to donate $8,500,000,000,000. This is a small fraction of the estimated cost, i.e. being 100,000th the size of the original figure. How good is that?

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 20 January 2013 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Someone is going to build it…

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 20 January 2013 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17
Unfairly Balanced - 20 January 2013 11:50 AM

Someone is going to build it…

Are there enough legos?

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 20 January 2013 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Sure.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 20 January 2013 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Let’s get started!

Signature 

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}