1 of 1
{/paginate}
Anti Virus Software
Posted: 13 December 2012 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2005-06-15

My MacBook Pro has stopped working. So I’m only using my Dell laptop for the moment. Has anybody got an opinion on Trend Micro antivirus software? That’s what the Dell laptop came with.

I was using Microsoft Security Essentials but I read that can cause the computer to slow down. My Dell laptop came with the WFBS version of Trend Micro software anyway.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 13 December 2012 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Eh… Trend is… meh.

Myself, I use AVG Free. Works great, without too many issues.

Just stay the heck away from Norton or McAfee.

If you want to risk it, you can go with a web-based virus scanner. There’s a couple out there. THey have the advantage that there’s no monitoring program taking up system resources that are scares on a lappy. The downside is that there’s no monitoring program. It’s ONLY cleaning off the crud, not stopping it from showing up.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 13 December 2012 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Robin Bobcat - 13 December 2012 06:50 PM

Eh… Trend is… meh.

Myself, I use AVG Free. Works great, without too many issues.

Just stay the heck away from Norton or McAfee.

If you want to risk it, you can go with a web-based virus scanner. There’s a couple out there. THey have the advantage that there’s no monitoring program taking up system resources that are scares on a lappy. The downside is that there’s no monitoring program. It’s ONLY cleaning off the crud, not stopping it from showing up.

Where do you get your reviews from? Is there a comparison review you can recommend that’s on the internet? I have heard AVG is good.

Thanks.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 14 December 2012 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Mostly word of mouth, from geeky friends.

AVG is very good, but you have to rummage a bit to find the free version.

http://free.avg.com/us-en/free-antivirus-download

For on-demand web-scanning, I recommend Eset’s nod32. Very effective.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 14 December 2012 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5529
Joined  2007-03-14

I also use AVG free and I can honestly say I haven’t had a problem since I installed it.  It may not have all the bells and whistles but for basic use it works fine.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 14 December 2012 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8451
Joined  2006-02-28

I use Avira linky and aside from the pop-up ads asking you to purchase the premium version and other software they market I like it better than AVG (seems to be less boggy on my system) EDIT: looks like that is for the Windows OS

Here is the MAC page:Linky

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 14 December 2012 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
oppiejoe - 14 December 2012 07:38 PM

I use Avira linky and aside from the pop-up ads asking you to purchase the premium version and other software they market I like it better than AVG (seems to be less boggy on my system) EDIT: looks like that is for the Windows OS

Here is the MAC page:Linky

Does Avira have her own TV Show? Does she wear a Morticia Addams costume together with a large B52 hair-don’t? That’s my bad joke for the day.

As I’m forced to use the Windows OS now I’ll look at that one as well.

I just noticed the topic title was “Anti Virus Softtware”. I just took out the extra t.

EDIT: I notice Kaspersky has an office right here in Melbourne.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}