Has anybody tried DuckDuckGo?
Posted: 17 October 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15

I found this search engine called DuckDuckGo at https://duckduckgo.com/. It’s a bit disappointing in that it seems to be sparse with the search results compared to Google. Plus it doesn’t seem to work well if I use Opera.

But it does claim to let people search in privacy, unlike Google. So I was wondering if anybody has tried it.

To be honest if it doesn’t improve I might just stick to Google.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 17 October 2012 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

Would anyone else but you even be interested in what you search?  Some of these idea-programs appear to offer a supposed safety method that then seems to leave the user stumbling about in the dark encumbered by supposed ‘chain mail’ that weighs them down.

When I search and surf, I like to get where I want to go with many MANY options available to me.  Sort of like finding the grail with a direct map.  I’m not much interested in a convoluted journey by foot when I can take a jet.  Part of the ‘options’ I want my search to do is to widen my view of what is available AND remember what I searched for before so that in the end I have a file or diary helping me remember paths I’ve taken before in case I want to go back again. 

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 17 October 2012 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 17 October 2012 01:37 PM

Would anyone else but you even be interested in what you search?  Some of these idea-programs appear to offer a supposed safety method that then seems to leave the user stumbling about in the dark encumbered by supposed ‘chain mail’ that weighs them down.

When I search and surf, I like to get where I want to go with many MANY options available to me.  Sort of like finding the grail with a direct map.  I’m not much interested in a convoluted journey by foot when I can take a jet.  Part of the ‘options’ I want my search to do is to widen my view of what is available AND remember what I searched for before so that in the end I have a file or diary helping me remember paths I’ve taken before in case I want to go back again.

What you search for is of interest to marketing companies. There is a video presentation about DuckDuckGo here.

But as I said I might just wind up sticking with Google anyway as it seems more useful.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 18 October 2012 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17
Peter - 17 October 2012 08:26 PM

What you search for is of interest to marketing companies. There is a video presentation about DuckDuckGo here.

But as I said I might just wind up sticking with Google anyway as it seems more useful.

Since I do almost all my shopping online (and have for years), the ‘marketing companies’ interests are also very helpful to me since they then show me others stores or sites I didn’t know about that help me compare costs and even items that fall into my interest categories.  I actually depend upon them.  Otherwise I’d have to do a LOT more tiresome research which is a bit like getting into a car and having to stop at store after store after store, burning costly gas and time.  So, it’s a scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 18 October 2012 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 18 October 2012 01:25 PM

Since I do almost all my shopping online (and have for years), the ‘marketing companies’ interests are also very helpful to me since they then show me others stores or sites I didn’t know about that help me compare costs and even items that fall into my interest categories.  I actually depend upon them.  Otherwise I’d have to do a LOT more tiresome research which is a bit like getting into a car and having to stop at store after store after store, burning costly gas and time.  So, it’s a scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours.

OK. That’s fair enough.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!