{/paginate}
Anyone else noting this:
Posted: 11 October 2012 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Facebook:

Now when I post I get an additional link ‘promote’ which often must be responded to by either selecting ‘promote’ or ‘cancel’ before you can continue.  According to their advice, more friends or public will actually see your post (statistically) if you pay $7 each time.  Of course if you use the app earlier promoted in May at a cost of $100 you must be able to get all your posts promoted.  (I don’t know if the $100 is for a year or not).  Many of my posts are not appearing on my newsfeed page at all but I’ve no idea if they appear for friends or family.

FB apparently started offering the ‘promote’ feature in May to Facebook businesses but only just began this with all individuals within the past week (?).  I think the idea really, for just the lay individual is to cut down on ‘chatter’ that takes up space and server usage.  Most individuals use Facebook to stay in touch with family and friends by sending photos, videos, home news and discussions.  Yesterday someone mentioned that their home page had been cut to extreme brievity and mentioned the $7 fee for each little post if you wanted to be sure it showed up for family and friends.  It hadn’t happened until today for me.  The statistics show that only 6% (or lower) of posts to friends and family may even show up on the main feed pages for listed ‘friends’. 

So I pulled up some of my ‘friends and family’ pages to see if they had posted something I never saw and sure enough some had.  But it was also difficult to see how much because their home pages had also been severely cut. 

I had also seen a few posts from Anne Rice (the author) a week ago asking if anyone else had noticed that fewer posts were actually being acknowledged and showing up.  She was apologizing to her fan base because a goodly number of fans were not pleased that they hadn’t seen some of her posts at all (of course we’re talking about hundreds of fans, not just 2-3).  I think that’s when the ‘promotion’ idea went beyond an app you could purchase to actually inserting the links which now, you have to either accept or cancel every time you post even a single word (at least that’s how mine have first started), but perhaps in time that necessity will disappear.

Surely I do not suggest that Alex start providing such a heavy load here.  I have paid for server/space access with Lycos and have for a goodly number of years and began a new blog there with just simple and silly quantrains.  It IS supposed to be an open forum but I don’t know, except for myself, how easy it is to access and leave comments and statements by others.  So I’m asking those who may read this to please at least see if you can and tell me what you have or had to do to leave a comment:  SilentTone

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 12 October 2012 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15

I’ll give Facebook a miss for a while until I get Google Chrome working again. I use Firefox for my normal usage but I use Chrome for Facebook so I don’t have to worry so much about clearing cookies all the time. Although I might look at alternative browsers (apart from Internet Explorer).

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 13 October 2012 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15

I downloaded Opera and I saw the Promote link on Facebook. I’ve seen it before. I’m hardly going to spend money it.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 14 October 2012 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5538
Joined  2007-03-14

I haven’t seen it yet, or at least I haven’t noticed it if it’s there.  If facebook starts dropping my friends posts to promote some business or something my block sender function is going to be getting a workout.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 15 October 2012 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8451
Joined  2006-02-28

I saw it this weekend with the Red Bull Stratos jump when Dave W asked me to repost it to his page to save him the trouble of searching for it…

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 15 October 2012 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

oppie, I didnt’t know you were on FB!  I need you to send me a friend request!  (unless I DO have you and am not equating your name with your avatar name here???

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}