4 of 4
September 19th—Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Posted: 03 November 2012 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  2005-10-21

Meow.

*sigh* dealing with a NASTY little virus… Win32/InstallCore.D… no fun at all.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 03 November 2012 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

Pretend you’re somewhere else?

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 04 November 2012 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Got the computer cleaned up. Much better now.

Only computer virus I’ve seen that actually gave my computer a *fever*... it was running my CPU at near-max, overheating it.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 04 November 2012 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8446
Joined  2006-02-28

O.O ugh… nasty!

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 04 November 2012 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

THAT’s what happened to Erik’s desktop here a few weeks ago.  It was like going insane.  He had a time getting it fixed as well.

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 05 November 2012 04:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15

Which antivirus software are you using? On my Windows laptop I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It’s a free download but it’s only licensed for personal use as far as I know.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 05 November 2012 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

We use Norton.  But this was more than just a virus fix.

Signature 

Posted: 05 November 2012 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21
hulitoons - 05 November 2012 11:25 AM

We use Norton.  But this was more than just a virus fix.

Oh.. Oh dear.. Umm.. Huli? DON’T USE NORTON. Period. It’s actually WORSE than not having any antivirus at all. The fastest way to tell if an IT guy is any good is to say ‘I use Norton’ and see if they wince.

See, it’s often pre-installed on computers, or comes free trial, or whatever.. point is, a lot of not-computer-savvy people have it, including businesses. This makes it a ripe target for hackers to circumvent. And circumvent they do. Handily. The nastier trojans will actually hollow out Norton, wear it as a hat, and tell you everything is fine while they use your computer.

MSE is also a bit easily-targeted, I’m afraid, though not to the degree poor Norton is.

Myself, I have AVG Free. Decent, easy to set up. This is combined with Spybot Search and Destroy, which has a resident program to watch for odd changes.

Signature 

Posted: 07 November 2012 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5511
Joined  2007-03-14

I have to agree with Robin (again).  I had Norton at one time and I found all it did was slow my computer down without giving me any more protection than the free version of AVG did.  things like the email scanner were especially frustrating to me.  It had all the bells and whistles but I rarely used anything more than the regular virus scan and it caused me more problems than it was worth.  After that experiment I switched to AVG and haven’t had a problem since.  It’s a lot simpler to use and the free version will do everything you need for basic internet protection.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 16 November 2012 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5511
Joined  2007-03-14

Must be time to start a new thread.  This one seems to have fossilized and is frozen in time.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 16 November 2012 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26363
Joined  2004-11-29

Probably should.  It is two months old…

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

4 of 4