Hereditary Darwin award
Posted: 02 August 2012 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2005-10-26

So a guy, suspected of a murder a few days earlier, convicted of pimping 14 year old girls, accidentally shoots himself in the head while trying to have a gunfight with police. A most altruistic gift to all of society, and we thank you.

To prove that some of these thought processes must be genetic, the mother is suing the police department for, well, I’m not really sure? For letting her son shoot himself in the head? For not having first aid on hand to save his life after he lodged a bullet in his neck? Thats a pretty difficult wound to treat.

Mom, perhaps you would like to take a few shots at the police too….......

http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Mother-sues-SF-police-over-son-s-death-3747717.php

Mother sues SF police over son’s death

The mother of a Washington state parolee who accidentally shot himself to death during a gunfight with San Francisco police last year has filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against the city.

Kenneth Wade Harding, 19, fatally wounded himself while running away from officers who stopped him on Third Street in the Bayview neighborhood for failing to pay a Muni fare, police said. But in a lawsuit filed Friday in U.S. District Court in San Francisco, Harding’s mother Denika Chatman said police have some responsibility for her son’s death and that officers failed to give him immediate medical care. Instead, they “left him writhing in pain with blood gushing out of his neck,” the suit said.

“He was literally allowed to drown in his own blood,” said Chatman’s attorney John Burris. “He was killed needlessly.”

Harding was trying to fire at the officers with a pistol and apparently shot himself in the neck on July 16, 2011, police investigators said. Officers Matthew Lopez and Richard Hastings also fired on Harding, striking him in the leg, authorities said.

Harding was a suspect in Seattle in the fatal shooting of a 19-year-old woman three days earlier. He was on parole for trying to pimp a 14-year-old girl in that city.

Posted: 02 August 2012 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

Because everyone knows - if you have a kiddie pimp with a gushing neck wound, you apply a tourniquet!

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 02 August 2012 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8446
Joined  2006-02-28

Where is the “Like” button for Robin’s comment? cheese

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 03 August 2012 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Old skool. Stamp it on your monitor.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 03 August 2012 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2005-10-26
Robin Bobcat - 02 August 2012 05:33 PM

Because everyone knows - if you have a kiddie pimp with a gushing neck wound, you apply a tourniquet!

Perhaps they should have, wrapping it really really tight.

Posted: 05 August 2012 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2007-03-14

I’m still trying to figure out how in the heck you manage to shoot yourself in the neck while trying to shoot at the cops at the same time.  In my experience the barrel of the gun wouldn’t be pointed anywhere close to your neck.    Unless, of course, he was trying to commit suicide, in which case he succeeded admirably.

As for moms lawsuit, I’ll be quite surprised if it doesn’t get tossed out of court.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 05 August 2012 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

Good point Gray.  I think it more likely it was someone else’s bullet, not his own….unless, as you suggested, he was trying to commit suicide.  It’s unlikely the bullet actually lodged in his neck so unless there is evidence of powder burns etc. to indicate it was from his own gun, I’m unsure how they could find the right bullet that would lead to the right gun.  Unless the folks at TV’s CSI stepped in (we’re all aware that any other such group would never investigate so completely).

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 05 August 2012 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

It is possible that he tried to shoot back by, while running and facing forward, simply raising his arm backwards over his shoulder and pulling the trigger. I can see how you can shoot yourself then.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 05 August 2012 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

You could be right LaMa.  I did a search using those parameters and other like-kind for any encounters of that sort and found one other person making that suggestion but it applied to the same news story. 

So I moved my arm from right to left to gauge the difficulty and where the barrel might be at the uplift while running.  If the trigger was pulled while the gun was being raised, it would sheer the carotid artery on the left side.  The gap opened could never be repaired in time.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 05 August 2012 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

Well, the guy *did* get shot in the leg. So perhaps he fell and the gun went off.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 06 August 2012 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2007-03-14

Realistically, no matter how it happened the world is probably a better place for it.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website