Australian death threat text scam under investigation
Posted: 25 July 2012 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Thousands of Australians have received a “death threat” text, demanding they pay 5,000 Australian dollars ($5,140, £3,311) or face being murdered.

The scale of the scam has surprised the police authorities.

At a press conference in Queensland, Det Supt Brian Hay said: “Do not respond. Delete it immediately and don’t panic… because that’s what they prey upon.”

The fraud is believed to be the work of an organised crime gang.
Huge scale

The message, which began to hit people’s phones on Monday, reads: “Sum1 paid me to kill you. Get spared, 48hrs to pay $5000. If you inform the police or anybody, death is promised.”

It directs people to a Yahoo email account which police have now disabled.

Mr Hay told reporters that enquiries were ongoing as to whether the criminals were based in Australia.

Some people had already fallen for the scam, mainly those with little experience of text messaging, he revealed.

He said that the scale of the scam was “unprecedented”.

“We’ve never see this anything like this before - to have so many people contacted at the same time.”

“There is an extraordinary amount of Australian consumer data that they are exploiting,” he added.

He added that the scam was likely to be the work of organised criminals rather than an individual.

Source: BBC News

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 26 July 2012 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26363
Joined  2004-11-29

I could’ve sworn this happened a few months back, and Alex had put it up on the main site…

Turns out I was thinking of the second item on this entry.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 29 July 2012 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

Didn’t Flora get one of those a few years ago?

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 29 July 2012 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

You mean, a deatha-vue?

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 30 July 2012 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26363
Joined  2004-11-29
Madmouse - 29 July 2012 01:33 PM

Didn’t Flora get one of those a few years ago?

If she did, she didn’t mention it on here, as far as I can tell.

Unless there was an email version a while back, and she had one of them?

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!