{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}
Private school show unfurls after hypnotized students don’t snap out of it
Posted: 19 June 2012 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2005-10-26

I’ve seen a hypnotists show, and I call shenanigans. Perhaps its just a stroke of luck the girls did this for him, but I’m calling this one ‘free advertising’.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/06/15/quebec-hypnosis-show-high-school.html

2nd hypnotist rescues students stuck in trance
Private school show unfurls after hypnotized students don’t snap out of it

A show at a private girls’ high school in Sherbooke, Que., went strangely awry when a young hypnotist left several students in “mass hypnosis” limbo and he had to call in his mentor to snap them out of it.

One student at Collège du Sacré-Coeur was reportedly left hypnotized for five hours until Maxime Nadeau, the young hypnotist, called his mentor to the school for an emergency intervention.

It all happened at an end-of-school year event last week, when Nadeau was hired to stage a hypnotism show for a small group of 12- and 13-year-old girls.

He worked on a small group while others watched the show. When it came time to end the event, several girls in the audience remained mesmerized and couldn’t snap out of it, no matter what Nadeau did.

... cont

Posted: 19 June 2012 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26039
Joined  2004-11-08

It certainly sounds like a case of the girls, as a group, continuing to play the game long after it ceased being funny.  I’m sure they all felt like they were still ‘under’, but that’s what group dynamics and pressures are all about.  There’s a certain something about a mob mentality…

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 19 June 2012 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Sounds like mass hysteria to me.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 19 June 2012 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I read an article early this morning covering this:  http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/students-left-mass-hypnosis-demonstration-goes-awry-233654807.html and the young hypnotist had to call his own professor to help him un-hypnotize the students.  One girl was in a trance though for 5 hours according to the article:

“There were a couple of students who had their heads lying on the table and there were [others] who, you could tell, were in trance,” Whitbread said. “The eyes were open and there was nobody home.”

In order to reverse the effect, Whitbread says he convinced the girls he was “re-hypnotizing” them and them brought them out of the trance “using a stern voice.”

“I don’t know how to explain it. It’s like you’re no longer there,” student Émilie Bertrand told the CBC about her experience. “You’re spaced out.”

Nonetheless, Bertrand described the experience as “cool” as said she would do it again, even knowing the potential consequences.

Interestingly, Whitbread said the girls may have been especially vulnerable to Nadeau’s suggestions because of his young age and “good looks.”

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 20 June 2012 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2005-06-15

I’m sure if Accipiter would’ve exposed his elbow* to them they would’ve “snapped out of it”.

* hmmm

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}