NASA Finds Lost Spacecraft on Dark Side of the Moon
Posted: 24 May 2012 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

NASA scientists have found the crash site, pictured above, of a spacecraft set into orbit during the early 60s. This one–thankfully–is not crawling with Decepticons. They believe it is the missing Lunar Orbiter 2 which disappeared back in 1967 during a passage over the far side of the moon, when the craft went out of telescope and radio range.

Lunar Orbit 2′s primary function was documenting areas of the moon that would be most hospitable to the Apollo and Surveyor missions. During its run, it returned a total of 609 high resolution images and 208 medium-sized frames.

While the spacecraft was intentionally downed on October 11, 1967, scientists had yet to find the crash site–til now.

The wreckage is thought to have been located by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) which is currently mapping the lunar surface in unprecedented detail. During its mission so far, the spacecraft has gathered more than 192 terabytes of data; that’s nearly 41,000 DVDs worth of data, images and maps! One of its key findings is our solar system’s coldest spot: a crater near the moon’s north pole was recorded at minus 415 degrees Fahrenheit. Brrr!

Source.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 25 May 2012 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-10-06

I don’t think that is the Lunar Orbiter 2.

If you squint really hard, it looks like a sculpture of an alien in sun-glasses, carved by some ancient race of space-going, God-like creatures who came from somewhere bright.

I think that’s got to be the most likely explanation, hasn’t it?

Signature 

When people ask “How are you?”, I usually reply “Reasonably confident of survival in the medium term”. They tend not to delve deeper.

Posted: 25 May 2012 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17
AndyB - 25 May 2012 09:07 AM

I don’t think that is the Lunar Orbiter 2.

If you squint really hard, it looks like a sculpture of an alien in sun-glasses, carved by some ancient race of space-going, God-like creatures who came from somewhere bright.

I think that’s got to be the most likely explanation, hasn’t it?

‘Like’!

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 25 May 2012 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

To be honest, I was pondering wether to post it in news or conspiracies.
Ah well what the admin sees fit.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 25 May 2012 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

Unfairly I don’t think it’s a conspiracy, it’s news.  Everyone is going to poke fun a bit though because if you do look at the photo the right way, it does look like an alien face and eyes….............but so do I!  No, there’s something there and in liklehood exactly what the article says.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 25 May 2012 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

Yes, but maybe that posting it under conspiracies it would have attrackted more readers.

it´s a headlines thing

Signature 

Trust me.

Posted: 25 May 2012 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

You could honestly title it “Alien Spacecraft Found On Dark Side of the Moon!”, which ought to get the crazy folks interested even more.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 06 June 2012 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17
Unfairly Balanced - 24 May 2012 11:59 AM

This one–thankfully–is not crawling with Decepticons.

LOL

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne