{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}
The beast of Hackney Marshes
Posted: 24 May 2012 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

http://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news/the_beast_of_hackney_marshes_mystery_pictures_1_1380787

Pictures at the link, click on them for a slightly bigger result.

A strange creature has been captured on camera on Hackney Marshes - 30 years after the unexplained sighting of another mystery beast sparked a full-scale search for a suspected bear on the loose.

Terrified university student Helen Murray said she took the snaps while out for a stroll near dense woodland close to a path near the Old River Lea on bank holiday Monday earlier this month.

She said she was stopped in her tracks by the unknown animal, which was larger than a person and covered in shaggy black fur.

“I tried to stay calm as I wasn’t sure what kind of animal it was or if it was even alive,” she said. “I had my phone ready to call 999. Then the creature moved. Somehow I managed to take a couple of pictures before I ran.

“I managed to get away but was scared half to death.”

Ms Murray says she didn’t contact the police because she thought they wouldn’t believe her.

A spokeswoman for Hackney police said there have been no other reports of sightings, while experts at London Zoo said the pictures were not clear enough for them to comment.

The photographs have revived memories of the unexplained case of a bear reportedly sighted on the Marshes in 1981 - 50 police officers, army marksmen, and a helicopter were drafted in to search the area, but the beast was never found.

Officers at the time stressed the people who’d seen the animal were not hoaxers, although they admitted they could have been victims of a hoax.

Two bear carcasses had previously been found nearby in the River Lea and it remains a mystery how they got there.

Looks a bit fake to me.

Posted: 30 May 2012 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2012-04-19

There’s an update on this one!  A man named Paul Winter-Hart, who apparently was the drummer of a ‘90s pop group, and his wife Nicole, identified the ‘beast’ as their very large Newfoundland dog, Willow, who’s also a very large, shaggy, black furred creature who hangs about in those woods. (The dog, not the drummer.)

http://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news/beast_of_hackney_marshes_has_kula_shaker_drummer_solved_the_mystery_1_1389110

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2149370/Beast-Hackney-Marshes-revealed-huge-Newfoundland-dog-owned-drummer-90s-band-Kula-Shaker.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

The Daily Mail’s headline for this one somehow comes accross as charming, which is a shocker as to date the Mail have very rarely come accross as anything other than ignorant, dishonest and paranoid!

Posted: 31 May 2012 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

I note the witness thinks it isn’t the dog, but it looks pretty likely to me that it was. I guess she is either too embarresed to admit it was a dog, or is desperate to believe it is a cryptid.

Posted: 31 May 2012 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Thanks for the pics C. McArthur, that’s what I also thought that the article photos appeared to be the hind-end of a large dog romping through the woods and jumping over a log.  I think the idea that it’s the ‘front’ was part of the hoax.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}