Psst!  Hey, buddy, wanna buy a cheap name-brand jet turbine?
Posted: 22 May 2012 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18155293

China fake parts ‘used in US military equipment’

Vast numbers of counterfeit Chinese electronic parts are being used in US military equipment, a key Senate committee has reported.

A year-long probe found 1,800 cases of fake parts in US military aircraft, the Senate Armed Services Committee found.

More than 70% of an estimated one million suspect parts were traced back to China, the report said.

It blamed weaknesses in the US supply chain, and China’s failure to curb the counterfeit market.

The failure of a key part could pose safety and national security risks and lead to higher costs for the Pentagon, the committee said.

US servicemen rely on a variety of “small, incredibly sophisticated electronic components” found in night vision systems, radios and GPS devices and the failure of a single part could put a soldier at risk, the report said.

It highlighted suspect counterfeit parts in SH-60B helicopters used by the Navy, in C-130J and C-27J cargo planes and in the Navy’s P-8A Poseidon plane.

After China, the UK and Canada were found to be the next-largest source countries for fake parts.

‘Avoiding scrutiny’

The committee criticised China for failing to shut down counterfeit manufacturers and said that committee staff wanting to travel to China for the investigation had not been granted visas.

“Counterfeit electronic parts are sold openly in public markets in China,” the report said.

“Rather than acknowledging the problem and moving aggressively to shut down counterfeiters, the Chinese government has tried to avoid scrutiny,” it added.

But the report said that use of Department of Defense programmes such as the Government-Industry Data Exchange Program (GIDEP), designed to log suspected fake parts, were “woefully lacking”.

Between 2009 and 2010 the GIDEP only received 217 reports relating to suspected fake counterfeit components, the majority of which were filed by just six companies, it said. Only 13 reports came from government agencies.

The report also said that in some cases the US defence department had reimbursed contractors for the costs they incurred as a result of their failure to spot fake components in their own supply chain - giving companies no incentive to weed out counterfeits themselves.

But it praised the National Defense Authorization Act, signed into law on 31 December 2011 by President Barack Obama, which aims to stop counterfeit parts from entering the country and would cut down on sourcing components from unknown suppliers.

The report’s focus on China comes as the US is beginning the task of “pivoting” its defence strategy towards the Asia-Pacific region.

The Pentagon is also preparing to absorb about $450bn (£285bn) of cuts over the next decade.

But it could face cutbacks of a further $500bn if mandatory across-the-board spending cuts come into effect at the end of 2012, after Congress failed to reach a deficit reduction plan last year.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 22 May 2012 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

Gosh, a UK news media covers US buying fake stuff from China.  A little bit like a mother talking about her child getting hoodwinked by their neighbor.

I’m sorry, that’s a bit off course, but I found the source, the victim and then the culprit in this article as an odd chain of pearls.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 27 May 2012 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5510
Joined  2007-03-14

This doesn’t surprise me in the least.  There is a big problem in my industry with fake and non certified parts.  It’s easy tos ee how some of them could get into the military system.    I remember one time shortly after the gulf war when I had ordered a display for an F-18.  I received a barrel with 3 displays, an armament computer and an HSI (horizontal situation indicator) while the packing list had indicated it only contained one display.  There are times when the military supply system is full of holes and easy to manipulate.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 27 May 2012 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

bear in mind, a lot of the stuff still functions as desired, it’s just not up to military standards. Maybe they used too much lead in the solder. maybe the boards are over the specified weight. Maybe they use recycled capacitors from other boards.. all sortsa ways to cut corners.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 29 May 2012 03:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27
gray - 27 May 2012 08:21 PM

This doesn’t surprise me in the least.  There is a big problem in my industry with fake and non certified parts.  It’s easy tos ee how some of them could get into the military system.    I remember one time shortly after the gulf war when I had ordered a display for an F-18.  I received a barrel with 3 displays, an armament computer and an HSI (horizontal situation indicator) while the packing list had indicated it only contained one display.  There are times when the military supply system is full of holes and easy to manipulate.

And from the acumulated extra parts (which you send home) you have build your own plane I suppose.
Like they used to do with jeeps etc.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 29 May 2012 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5510
Joined  2007-03-14
Unfairly Balanced - 29 May 2012 03:56 AM
gray - 27 May 2012 08:21 PM

And from the acumulated extra parts (which you send home) you have build your own plane I suppose.
Like they used to do with jeeps etc.

I was a couple of engines and and ejection seat short of a complete aircraft.  However there was one time I was looking for a camp stove.  They used to put Coleman Peak 1 stoves in the survival packs for pilots who have ejected.  The stoves themselves were B class, which means you had to have a signed requisition and a reason to order one.  However the parts were all C class, which meant consumables and no signature needed.  So I ordered up enough parts to make 2 stoves and then assembled them once I had everything.  We just kept them in the shop for times when someone wanted to go backpacking.  Not quite a jeep but it worked.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website