1 of 1
{/paginate}
Engineer wants to build The Enterprise
Posted: 16 May 2012 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2005-06-15

It looks a lot like a hoax to me. This guy’s web site seems to go down and is slow when it’s up.

The pages I saw (his web site is so slow just seeing 2 or 3 pages is tortuous to load) don’t seem to have any real images or plans of what his Enterprise would look like. There are just basic graphics and copied images of the Enterprise from the TV Series/Movie or just some graphics made by a third party.

One story about it here. This guy’s painfully slow web site (when it’s up) is at:

http://www.buildtheenterprise.org

You’d think if he was serious he’d spend a few extra dollars on better web hosting.

Engineer proposes $1 trillion USS Enterprise

An anonymous electrical and systems engineer going only by the moniker BTE-Dan has posted surprisingly detailed plans for a full-scale, functioning Starship Enterprise that he claims could be built in 20 years. Though it may be tempting to scoff at such lofty ambition, the Build the Enterprise website (up all of one week) includes specifications, costs, mission plan and funding strategies, all suggesting that a serious amount of thought has gone into creating a real world counterpart to the icon spaceship of the TV and movie series, Star Trek.

The project appears to be born of Dan’s frustration with humankind’s present spacefaring efforts. Dan more or less dismisses the International Space Station for its lack of gravity and cramped quarters, describing its toilet facilities as “comical and primitive,” and musing how the money may have been better spent. Dan’s answer? A full-scale USS Enterprise similar in form, dissimilar in function to that of the TV and movie series; that would operate as “a spaceship, a space station and a spaceport,” and be home to a thousand people.

Though similar in scale and appearance to the USS Enterprise (“it ends up that this ship configuration is quite functional,” Dan writes), the “Gen1 Enterprise” would be functionally very different. Firstly, the main nuclear-powered ion engine (boasting 1.5 GW of power) would strictly limit the Enterprise to intra-solar system missions, being incapable of anything approaching faster-than-light speeds. However, Dan claims that the Gen1 would be capable of reaching Mars from Earth within ninety days, and reaching the Moon in three. Comparatively rudimentary compared to the NCC-1701 portrayed on screen, Dan’s Gen1 proposal is somewhat analogous to the real world “Tricorder” we looked at last month, being one imaginary technology scaled back to meet present day technological possibilities - though obviously this is a rather more ambitious scheme.

Dan claims that the Gen1 would have ample living space and could generate gravity of 1 g. This would be created by a rotating magnetically-suspended gravity wheel housed within the Enterprise’s familiar saucer-shaped section. A counter-rotating ring is also proposed in order to prevent the body of the ship rotating. Dan suggests that the second ring might be filled with water, propellant, or other materials that would be needed aboard ship.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 16 May 2012 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Yeah, just tried to load and get a server error…...  Let’s hope, if he DOES build it, it’ll work better than loading the pages!

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 16 May 2012 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16

Maybe he should start a Kickstarter funding campaign. I don’t think $1 trillion dollars would be too hard to raise, really.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 17 May 2012 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

As an engineer, he should be apalled at the thought of using the Enterprise as a design for a real-world space ship. It’s apallingly designed from a physics standpoint. Center of mass, engine placement, long structural members… yeah, it’s just bad. Making the disk a rotation section would be horrible - even magnetic bearings would mean that any imbalances would REALLY make things wobbly.

Far better design would be to have something that looks like a frisbee atop a flashlight. Keep your axis of rotation along the center of mass, with your engines and such below. That’s assuming you need them to be long and linear, of course.. you could get away with a nice ring with the engine in the middle, and things would be awesome.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 17 May 2012 02:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

Website loaded fine for me.

I like the dog-enterprise in the images.

Posted: 17 May 2012 06:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Mr R - 17 May 2012 02:57 AM

Website loaded fine for me.

I like the dog-enterprise in the images.

Loads fine now for me too. I see he’s put white graphics with white lettering on a white background. All the images of The Enterprise have been bleached white as well.

The whole effect of the home page is, well, just white.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 17 May 2012 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Peter - 17 May 2012 06:21 AM

Loads fine now for me too. I see he’s put white graphics with white lettering on a white background. All the images of The Enterprise have been bleached white as well.

He just needs to reverse the polarity, and that will fix everything.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 18 May 2012 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Accipiter - 17 May 2012 09:52 PM
Peter - 17 May 2012 06:21 AM

He just needs to reverse the polarity, and that will fix everything.

He’s done it.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 19 May 2012 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

I really want this to happen!

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}