1 of 2
{/paginate}
Zodiac killer still alive and living in California, new book alleges
Posted: 15 May 2012 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

A new book claims that the infamous Zodiac killer is still alive and living in Northern California.

“The Zodiac Killer Cover Up” was written by a former California Highway Patrol officer, Lyndon Lafferty, and adds another theory to the much-discussed serial killer case in Northern California.

The Zodiac killer is blamed for at least five slayings in 1968 and 1969. There was never an arrest in the case.

Three killings occurred in Vallejo. Teenagers David Farraday and Betty Lou Jensen were shot to death in December 1968. Darlene Ferrin, 22, was shot and killed seven months later at Blue Rock Springs Golf Club. Her companion, Michael Mageau, 19, survived.

In “The Zodiac Killer Cover Up,” Lafferty claims the killer is now a 91-year-old man living in Solano County. The book uses aliases and does not identify the alleged killer by name. Lafferty claims he and other lawmen investigated the suspect in the early 1970s but were stymied by “power brokers” in Solano County.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the book has stirred new debate among those who have followed the famous killings.

The San Francisco police formally closed the case in 2004.

The Zodiac killer got his name by taunting newspapers and the police with letters and puzzles.

“The police shall never catch me, because I have been too clever for them,” he wrote in a letter sent to the San Francisco Chronicle.

“I enjoy needling the blue pigs,” he wrote. Detectives thought they might have had a break two years ago, when a partial DNA profile was taken from envelopes containing the letters.

The genetic evidence seemed to clear the only suspect ever named by police—Arthur Leigh Allen of Vallejo. Allen, who was never charged, died of a heart attack in 1992.

Source

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 15 May 2012 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

I’d heard some speculation that it may have been the Unabomber, Teddy K. Certain similarities of style, that sort of thing. One of the things the Zodiac was threatening was basically mortar attacks on school busses and the like. Of course, serial killers don’t often switch M.O.s - once they have something, they stick with it.

I suspect rather strongly this will become our century’s version of Ripperology…

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 15 May 2012 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16

Hey, Robin, don’t you live in Califor…

Er… never mind.

gulp

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 28 May 2012 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2012-04-19

Hasn’t Kaczynski been fingered for a few other things over the years as well, without evidence? The thing is though, you’re right Robin that serial killers tend to stick to pattern of behaviour, or gradually escalate their behaviours, rather than drastically shift between them, even where their personalities are unstable,

(and Kaczynski’s certainly was, I’ve heard it theorised that his personality disorders either originated or were made much worse by an incident in his days at university as a brilliant young student, before any of the killings, when he volunteered for a series of ‘philosophy studies’ being carried out by a Dr Murray, himself a real piece of work with an interest in some of the same sort of ‘enhanced disclosure’ (torture) and ‘behavioural modification’ (brainwashing) techniques as the CIA’s MKULTRA, DELTA and related programs, which targeted psychiatric hospital patients, African American prisoners, unconsenting servicemen, and even US Govt. and military civilian scientists involved in the project, i.e. their own people, which also resulted in severely damaged minds. Kaczynski was subjected to torture and humiliation, and his suffering sadistically played back to him.)

and Kaczynski was regarded as having a real obsession with certain themes in his terrorist career, among them the natural world and a destruction of the percieved evils of industrialisation, capitalism and urbanisation (he seems to have believed in a primitive kind of anarchism, although he hated leftists as well.), and his campaign of bombings seems consistent with his ‘manifesto’ and other writings, with his targets including universities, aircraft, and companies and people he associated with the evils of industrial, capitalist society.

By comparison, Zodiac does seem to have been a cunning, clever b*stard as well, but his (witness testimony appears to indicate a man) killings were very different to Kaczynski’s, and the clues left behind seem to indicate a very different motivation, and different obsessions. Zodiac’s letters mention nothing of Kaczynski’s anti-civilisation message, and advise that he likes killing people because ‘it’s so much fun’, and he wants to aqcuire ‘slaves for the afterlife’, which he purported to believe would happen if he killed people, enslaving their souls. Similarly, apart from the ‘FC’ carvings Kaczynski put into his bombs, he doesn’t appear to have shared Zodiac’s interest in coded messages or symbols. In addition, whereas Zodiac killed his victims at close range, having phsyically met them, Kaczynski sent out bombs from his base in a cabin in Montana. Again, unstable as Kaczynski is/was, it doesn’t follow that his personality switched between two entirely distinct serial killers with drastically different methods.

Posted: 29 May 2012 04:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Well, yes.. That theory was discounted for all those reasons and more.

Oh, and Tah? It would be a neat trick, given I was born in 1973…

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 06 June 2012 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17
Robin Bobcat - 29 May 2012 04:11 AM

So you say… wink

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 06 June 2012 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2005-06-15
Madmouse - 06 June 2012 07:59 AM
Robin Bobcat - 29 May 2012 04:11 AM

So you say… wink

Of course I was born in 1963 so I was alive at the time. But could I have gotten a plane from Australia? I would’ve needed to earn a lot of pocket money as a child to buy a plane ticket.

I suppose somebody would say I could’ve put a friend on my shoulders to make us look like an adult under that hood.

Preposterous of course.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 07 June 2012 02:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5527
Joined  2007-03-14

I was 14 at the time so I suppose I could be considered a suspect but I would have needed my parents permission to cross the border.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 02 August 2012 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-08-02

Your readers may be interested to learn that the “Zodiac Killer” letters and phone calls themselves were a hoax. You can read more about it here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008NCUCPU

Posted: 02 August 2012 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21
thomashoran - 02 August 2012 09:25 AM

Your readers may be interested to learn that the “Zodiac Killer” letters and phone calls themselves were a hoax. You can read more about it here:

*raises eyebrow*

‘Conspiracies’ is over in that section of the forum… but you are entitled to your opinion on the matter, of course.

Signature 

Posted: 02 August 2012 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2005-06-15
Robin Bobcat - 02 August 2012 04:35 PM
thomashoran - 02 August 2012 09:25 AM

*raises eyebrow*

‘Conspiracies’ is over in that section of the forum… but you are entitled to your opinion on the matter, of course.

thomashoran can you give a a couple of quotes to support the hypothesis? I have to admit I’m doubtful about the central claim of this book. But hey if it’s got some actual proof then by all means give us a quote.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 02 August 2012 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-08-02

1. Thanks for replying.

2. It wasn’t a “conspiracy.” It was a hoax.

3. Most of the detectives assigned to the actual murders knew that. But cops aren’t supposed to comment on open investigations, so they don’t. The SF Chronicle simply let people assume that the relevant police departments had “verified” the information in the letters. But they hadn’t.

In fact, the actual police files show beyond any doubt that the person(s) responsible for writing those letters had no first-hand knowledge of the murders. (Only the first three letters even claim to contain any such information. All the rest of the letters are filled with pure baloney.) But more than that, the letters (and the phone calls, but the phone calls were “pranks” committed by someone else) are filled with WRONG details, and not just wrong, but very specifically wrong. So specific, that the sources can be pinpointed to a very few pieces of paper from one specific place. The “correct” facts in the letters had all been published in contemporary newspaper stories prior to the writing of the letters. Contrary to popular belief.

4. Four cops: Solano County Sheriff’s Deputy/Detective Les Lundblad, Solano County Deputy Sheriff/Coroner Dan Horan (no relation,) and to a lesser extent, Napa County Deputy Sheriff/Detective Ken Narlow, and later, SFPD “detective” Dave Toschi, all liked the media attention that came from working such a famous case. (Lundblad made so many reckless comments so many times to reporters that it would have been very difficult to convict anybody of the murder of David Faraday and Betty Lou Jensen.) But their own partners, plus Vallejo PD Chief Jack Stiltz, and the FBI, were sure the letters were a hoax.

Beginning in the 1990s, every page of every PD file, plus all 700-plus pages of the FBI’s files, have been published through FOIA dumps. And those files clearly show that the letters were a hoax. Of course, there goes the “Zodiac” industry, but I’m a professor, not tabloid journalist. I was stunned not only by how little the self-proclaimed Zodiac “experts” knew about the actual murders, but after several months of so-called critique, it has become apparent that they haven’t even read the files.

I was not only able to prove, beyond any reasonable doubt, that the letters were a hoax, I was also able to follow the trail of errors directly to the person whose hand printing turned out to be a 100 percent dead match for the hand printing on the letters. It will be a few months before I can publish the handprinting comparison, but there is no significant difference at all, except that this “Suspect N” seems to have rotated the paper about 90 degrees in order to turn his distinctive leftward slant into a distinctive rightward slant. And yes, Virginia, law enforcement can prove beyond any doubt that Suspect N was in the area of Bryan Hartnell’s car at Lake Beryessa between the time of the stabbing and the time plice discovered the car with the writing on the door. But since Suspect N also had a solid alibi for the murder itself, his handprinting was never checked. But samples of his printing, all from the 1968-1972 time frame, are a dead match. But even without the suspect, the evidence still shows the letter were a hoax.

Suspect N had at least one or maybe two accomplices. I have identified one of them, but again, names will have to wait a few months. Unfortunately, a detective assigned to one of the cases is publising his own book in August 2012, so the edition of my book available on Amazon at this time is partially redacted. But the sentence-by-sentence comparison of the letters and phone calls to the actual facts in each case, and the sources from which the wrong information was obtained, in in this edition. It’s basically an edited copy of the report I made for law enforcement earlier this year.

You can read a free sample at Amazon. “The Great Zodiac Hoax of 1969.”

{paginate}
1 of 2
{/paginate}