2 of 2
{/paginate}
Building an experimental town
Posted: 11 May 2012 03:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

“Just think of how many people you could fit into an average aircraft carrier. . .”

Uhhuh, with great views from the inner huts. I think those kinda housings will get a name like “suicide lounges” pretty quick.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 11 May 2012 04:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17
Peter - 10 May 2012 08:37 PM
hulitoons - 10 May 2012 06:30 AM

Gosh Mr R, that’s actually pretty depressing, along with the empty ghost town discussed here, when you know there are so many people losing their homes and the homeless population growing.

Back during the Great Depression this was very common.  You’d have entire apartment buildings boarded up or whole neighborhoods with homes boarded up, not because there was anything wrong with them, but because people couldn’t afford to pay rent or buy.  You had nice buildings and rooms standing empty while people sat on street curbs out in the elements or just wandering from one town to the next as hobos while shelter rotted.

How stupid can humans get?

Ask the question “how much is a life worth?” Things that appear in the social contract we have with society don’t seem to figure in economics. Yet the social contract exists and it allows our society to function.

What’s needed is a baseline ultrabudget form of dwelling that can be supplied by governments to shelter the homeless.

Peter, that requires MORE funds to be spent when there is already shelter right there in front of them that can be used.  The better idea is to bargain with the owners of the existing shelters.  We do have some of this kind of bargaining contracts here with HUD and Section 8 housing.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 11 May 2012 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2879
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 11 May 2012 04:37 AM
Peter - 10 May 2012 08:37 PM
hulitoons - 10 May 2012 06:30 AM

Gosh Mr R, that’s actually pretty depressing, along with the empty ghost town discussed here, when you know there are so many people losing their homes and the homeless population growing.

Back during the Great Depression this was very common.  You’d have entire apartment buildings boarded up or whole neighborhoods with homes boarded up, not because there was anything wrong with them, but because people couldn’t afford to pay rent or buy.  You had nice buildings and rooms standing empty while people sat on street curbs out in the elements or just wandering from one town to the next as hobos while shelter rotted.

How stupid can humans get?

Ask the question “how much is a life worth?” Things that appear in the social contract we have with society don’t seem to figure in economics. Yet the social contract exists and it allows our society to function.

What’s needed is a baseline ultrabudget form of dwelling that can be supplied by governments to shelter the homeless.

Peter, that requires MORE funds to be spent when there is already shelter right there in front of them that can be used.  The better idea is to bargain with the owners of the existing shelters.  We do have some of this kind of bargaining contracts here with HUD and Section 8 housing.

Is it a practical idea to think that can be done with enough of the owners? Besides what about other countries?

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 11 May 2012 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

As long as there are existing abodes, the government can save a LOT of taxpayer funds by bargaining with present landlords Peter.  Otherwise, your ideas produce ‘shanty towns’.  If you put folks with low income into neighborhoods that are class-mixed, you provided a healthier atmosphere for those folks to get work, feel better about themselves, and be in a safer environment.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 11 May 2012 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2879
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 11 May 2012 10:08 AM

As long as there are existing abodes, the government can save a LOT of taxpayer funds by bargaining with present landlords Peter.  Otherwise, your ideas produce ‘shanty towns’.  If you put folks with low income into neighborhoods that are class-mixed, you provided a healthier atmosphere for those folks to get work, feel better about themselves, and be in a safer environment.

I guess you’re right.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

{paginate}
2 of 2
{/paginate}