Mysterious underwater creature
Posted: 09 May 2012 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

There’s a video of a strange thing underwater. Suggestions for its identity include a net, a jellyfish or a whale’s placenta. There are photos and video here.

This blog suggests it’s a type of jellyfish called deepstaria enigmatica, and I found a site with a detailed description of it that seems plausible.

Opinions?

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 09 May 2012 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

I have to go with Deepstaria Enigmatica, and it appears to be a dead hulk.  And as for the appendages, even jellyfish die and parts of them consumed.  The most consumable parts would be the appendages.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 09 May 2012 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Oh, hey, that’s where my genetics experiment ran off to. . .

One other possibility is that it isn’t a thing; rather, it is things.  A very large number of marine species spend their childhood swimming around freely as little larvae, then attach themselves permanently to some larger object and become sessile.  This floating thing could be one main something with a number of other somethings that have come along and attached on to it.  Or it could be something like a jellyfish that has eaten something else but hasn’t yet digested it, giving the jellyfish the appearance of having its own complicated internal organs.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 09 May 2012 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2011-07-04

I’d vote for it being a whale’s placenta, with the ‘‘organs’’ in question being remnants of it’s umbilical cord. I’m no expert, but I think that the pattern on it’s surface could’ve been remnants of it’s blood vessels. Most of it’s movements looked like something that could come about if a light, lifeless item was subjected to some unexpected underwater currents, perhaps caused by the cameras own movements.
It’s hard to even put a comparable size scale on that thing. It’s like that video with the worms in a tunnel all over again - the subject could be a meter in length and it could also be the size of a man’s palm. I’m no diving expert, I don’t even know what that white rocket-like thing near the camera is. I thought at first that the footage was taken by a deep-sea diver, but by now I’m leaning more towards a remote-controlled camera due to the apparent depth and the mechanical feel of the movements as the camera focuses on the object in question. I guess that whoever took it will step forth soon enough. They must’ve had equipment down there for a reason, after all, and finding something strange like that would do well to any man’s research.

EDIT: The smallish logo on the lower left corner seems to indicate that the equipment belongs to Petrobras, a brazilian oil company. And here I was, thinking they were researchers.