{paginate}
5 of 8
{/paginate}
FUEL ADDITIVES: Pills, liquids etc. Are these for real or just more SCAMS?
Posted: 24 May 2006 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2006-02-25

Cindi - I’m not sure what you’re asking beyond what we’ve already posted here.  Anything is possible, but it seems extremely unlikely that Ethos is a product that produces any kind of mileage boost or pollutant reduction that’s worth the money.  Read the thread for additional information.  It’s only 3 pages long.

The only thing I can add at this point is that this product has apparently been around since about 1989 (the year the patent application was filed), but is still in the MLM distribution channel.  You’d think if there were something real to this product it would have made it to traditional product distribution channels by now.  And even traditional product distribution channels are hardly immune to frauds (see, e.g., the FTC actions taken against the Q-RAY bracelet, BREATH ASSURE, and SLICK 50, as scam or essentially worthless products that failed to perform as advertised).

Also, the patent (4,920,691) will expire in 3 years.  So even on the remote chance that there’s something there beyond hype, you’ll see cuthroat competition beginning in 3 years which will drive out the MLM people because MLM is a horribly cost-inefficient way to distribute products. 

From a Machiavellian perspective, if the marketing hype was slick enough to convince you, then it’s slick enough for you to get customers for the stuff.

Posted: 24 May 2006 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2006-02-25

Cindi - from the link you provided:

Posted: 25 May 2006 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2006-05-12

Here is a link to an Ethos message board post where a guy posts the results he has had using Ethos in his Chevy Astro van. Half way down the page he posts before and after pictures of his on board computer that show his miles per gallon before using Ethos and after.

http://profitspotlight.com/gas4lessforum/index.php?topic=143.0

Posted: 25 May 2006 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7682
Joined  2005-06-05

Considering the variety of factors that can affect a vehicles fuel consumption, a simple before and after photo proves absolutely nothing.

A few of the things that affect a vehicles fuel consumption…

Traffic congestion, which increases with population density.

Seasonal temperature variations, especially for gasoline-carbureted vehicles.

Humidity, which together with temperature, affects air-conditioner use.

Differences among geographic areas of the country.

Altitude.

Wind.

Road gradient and road surface conditions.

Signature 

FOLLANSBEE, WV; Having been alerted to the coming apocalypse at a recent church service, 6-year-old Julie Strand decided she needed to live for today and immediately stuck a peanut M & M up her left nostril.

Posted: 25 May 2006 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

My car averages about 39 mpg, but I’ve had it reading over 90 mpg by zeroing it at the top of a hill and idling all the way down it. Now there’s a before and after to turn heads!

Perhaps I should start selling bottles of engine oil cut with WD40, call it an ‘active lubricant’ and market it as ‘Drive-AL’!

Posted: 25 May 2006 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-05-24

You guys are just hopeless…...  rolleyes

I won’t even suggest that one of you try a bottle for yourself….I just don’t think you would be willing to admit it if it really did make a difference.

Are any of you out there self-made millionaires?  How did you make your money?  Wouldn’t you agree that you have to take risks to ever get somewhere.  And if you fail, fail forward until you make your own success! 

So, let others sell the product without trying to rain on their parade…who knows, we ALL just might be surprised!

Posted: 25 May 2006 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Yup, hopeless.
All you silly people pointing out reasons why these non-blinded ‘proofs’ may not be accurate, and suggesting other ideas which could account for the same effect! Damn close minded skeptics.

wink

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 25 May 2006 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7682
Joined  2005-06-05
CyndiWilliams - 25 May 2006 03:45 PM

I won’t even suggest that one of you try a bottle for yourself….. I just don’t think you would be willing to admit it if it really did make a difference

Are any of you out there self-made millionaires?  How did you make your money?  Wouldn’t you agree that you have to take risks to ever get somewhere.  And if you fail, fail forward until you make your own success! 

So, let others sell the product without trying to rain on their parade…who knows, we ALL just might be surprised!

ya see Cyndi, when someone posts a topic on a PUBLIC BULLETIN BOARD it is with the expectation that people will respond with their own thoughts, opinions etc.

and yeah, even if it did work, we would all lie just so we can bash this shite company again rolleyes

BTW, I have made exactly one other post on this topic merely stating that multiple factors affect a vehicles fuel consumption and was even kind enough to supply examples. Your decision to mass reply with comments such as “You guys are just hopeless” and “I just don’t think you would be willing to admit it if it really did make a difference”  does not paint you in a flattering light.

Signature 

FOLLANSBEE, WV; Having been alerted to the coming apocalypse at a recent church service, 6-year-old Julie Strand decided she needed to live for today and immediately stuck a peanut M & M up her left nostril.

Posted: 25 May 2006 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-05-24

Now, I was just being playful with “you guys are just hopeless” comment.

But I do understand both sides of this story. 

But honestly, do you think anyone in this group would truly be willing to concede that it works? I mean, if someone tracks their mileage for a month without the product, then uses it over a period of a month, and their average is better, then couldn’t we then conclude that the product is working?  And if so, would the skeptics be able to agree?  Or would they continue to look for other reasons to discount the results?

Posted: 25 May 2006 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

That would depend on the conditions of the study. You can understand, I’m sure, the necessity of then tracking that whole list of factors that Chuck listed, plus being sure that no-one (on either side of the debate) had tampered with anything…

Skepticism isn’t a close-minded denial of new things, but a request that (reliable) proof be shown before something (especially a measurable claim like this one) is accepted as the truth.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 25 May 2006 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05
CyndiWilliams - 25 May 2006 03:45 PM

I won’t even suggest that one of you try a bottle for yourself….I just don’t think you would be willing to admit it if it really did make a difference.

Cyndi, I don’t believe personal testimonies, I believe real evidence, so show some. Why should I give you or any other twerp my money on the basis that you say I’ll not regret it? The onus is on you to convice me of the benefits, not on me to be convinced. BTW, I know for a fact that drinking two bottles of hotsauce makes you smarter and more attractive, and I have lots of letters from smart and attractive people thanking me for telling them this amazing fact. With such compelling proof, I expect you’ll be buying three dozen this evening, yes?

Are any of you out there self-made millionaires?  How did you make your money?  Wouldn’t you agree that you have to take risks to ever get somewhere.

As I remember, P. T. Barnum made quite a bit of money too. In fact it’s considerably easier to get rich if you take no account of the law, the truth, your marks or anything other than your income. The only risk in selling snake-oil is getting caught!

How about the manufacturers taking a risk?

Maybe getting a reputable and independant organsation to test the product in properly controlled conditions? I mean they have nothing to fear, they’ve got all these testimonials to how dramatically this stuff works!

Or how about asking JREF to help design and conduct the tests? Seeing those “Doubting Thomas’s” eat their words, it’s gotta be worth it.

Whatever, don’t just sit on a big pile of subjective and uncorroborated reports and shout ‘proven’ as loudly as possible. That’s what hucksters do. Oh and hotsauce really improves engine performance too, just put it with the oil!

And if you fail, fail forward until you make your own success!

Rage, rage against the dying of the light!

Why? If the product is a waste of money, we should let you recoup the losses of your own stupidity by exploiting other people and “the Devil take the hindmost”?

Multi-level marketing especially has been at the heart of a number of outright frauds. Drawing attention to that fact, and to the deficit of independant verification of the product that may contribute to the future failure of such an MLM scheme, isn’t raining on a parade, it’s shining a light where it’s needed (if not wanted).

If the vicious little pyramid scheme you’ve bought into can’t take a little criticism then there really is something wrong.

{paginate}
5 of 8
{/paginate}